Why become a member? ×

Any Yamaha experts out there?

Cygnus x-1

Apart from active electronics and 120 quid or so, what are the differences between a BB614 and a BB414? Because if it's just active difference, is the price premium worth it? Also is the pickguard the only difference between the old 414 and the new 414x?

Quite fancy a Yammy for a vintage 'thud, thud' tone to compliment my more 'hi-fi' sounding Ibanez sr500. I know the BB Yam's are well respected on here, any thoughts?
Nick.

[quote name='Cygnus x-1' post='760690' date='Mar 1 2010, 01:13 PM']Apart from active electronics and 120 quid or so, what are the differences between a BB614 and a BB414? Because if it's just active difference, is the price premium worth it? Also is the pickguard the only difference between the old 414 and the new 414x?

Quite fancy a Yammy for a vintage 'thud, thud' tone to compliment my more 'hi-fi' sounding Ibanez sr500. I know the BB Yam's are well respected on here, any thoughts?
Nick.[/quote]

There might be an argument for getting the passive and spending the savings on a quality outboard preamp 2nd hand. Worked for me.

I tried both back to back at PMT a while back, and thought the passive was better, the output was virtually identical,and less knobs on to confuse you with the passive.....!!!! As previous poster suggested you can always add an offboard pre amp later if required.

I would go with the passive version as well.
I've played a BB415 in a shop on saturday and it was quite nice.

I've got a BB1600 - the 80s model the BB414 was based on, and to be honest there is no comparison. If you manage to get a BB1600 under £300 - go for it.

Hi,
Just sold a BB414 , and kinda wish I hadn't , fact is I mainly play a Jazz V and just hadnt taken the Yammy out its case for ages.Took it out to check it over before it was picked up ,and was reminded what a bloody good solid bass it was -a real no nonsense instrument that will take the strain almost indefinatley ,more than you could say for some of the 'boutique basses' for sale these days at mind boggling prices. Even though I just sold mine the BB414 is one of a small number of models that would always get my vote.

Cheers :)

I've had a test drive of both passive and active and bought the BB614 active, I simply like active basses as they are so very versatile...you can make a 614 as warm, thuddy grunty or bright and jazzy as you want to. Ohh, and the bass EQ is simply amazing, also the 614 had a nicer slap tone if that's your monkey. Light bass, very quick neck, and super low action, as you can tell I love mine!

...small world No. 3 I had a guy turn to look at car on Sunday and he has played bass for some 25 years, nowadays in a Thin Lizzy Tribute band....he had fngers like eels. After kicking tyres he had a blast on both my BB...turns out he had one years ago and sold it for an old MIJ Fender P bass, always regreted selling the BB as it was his first 'real bass' but couldn't afford both....his words not mine

[i]The Bass That Started it All
For more than 20 years, the Yamaha BB Series basses have been the workhorse for great bass players like Nathan East, tony Kanal, Michael Anthony, and Lee Sklar. Through the years, these players have relied on Yamaha's BB Basses to deliver that deep, warm thump that has become the hallmark Yamaha bass sound.

Now Yamaha has reinvented the bass that started it all. The new BB Series basses boast all the classic characteristics of the original BBs, from the distinctive big body design and bolt-on neck to the vintage-style hardware and soapbar and split-coil pickups. With the addition of state-of-the-art manufacturing techniques, the new BB Series is destined to become an instant classic.

The BB414 and BB415 feature a beefy alder body with a bolt-on maple neck and rosewood fingerboard. Electronics include a ceramic soapbar-style bridge pickup, a split coil neck pickup, a toggle selector switch and speed knobs for master volume and master tone. The BB614 and BB615 upgrades to an active 3-band EQ, a pickup balancer, and chrome controls.

Active Electronics
Active electronics include an extremely low noise preamp developed by Yamaha that retains the full tone produced by the pickups. The system produces a dynamic sound with excellent presence. The 5-control active electronics are extremely easy to use and offer a wide range of tonal creation to meet the demands of any situation.

Controls
1.Pickup Balancer
2.Master Volume
3.Bass
4.Middle
5.Treble[/i]

have a 2009 Yamaha guitar brochure on me

Edited by iconic