Why become a member? ×

Alembic signature Mark King standard FS/FT- TRADE COMPLETED

wombatboter

I bought this bass just a couple of months ago from a Belgian bass-player and I believe this also used to belong to BC-member Alanbass.
I always wanted to have a bass like this and in my opinion it is one of the best and most beautiful basses ever.
When I bought it the previous owner told me that he rarely played it and that he only looked at it and saw it as a beautiful thing like a painting.
I told him that I wanted to play it and use it and that I wasn't intimidated by its looks or prestige.
It turned out I was wrong : it's a funny thing but after four live gigs with this instrument I know what he means. I am blown away by the sound and just last weekend I got compliments from bass-players in the audience but I just don't feel at ease with this thing, it's a bit too posh and in contradiction with my old Wal or Fender I am terrified to damage it. Not easy to explain but you have to force yourself to take this bass to a pub-gig and that's the sort of gigs I've been doing the last months. That pointy thing also forces me to bring a bass stand along and that is something I rarely do. I also want to say that these basses have long necks, this is not a short scale.
I have owned around 100 basses but it's the first time I sell an instrument because it looks too good (...)
So I find myself putting this for sale (although a trade is also possible)
It's a Mark King Standard, serial number 02MJ12900 (build in 2002), it has red leds along the side, I actually don't know what sort of wood it's made of (if someone could help me out). It has all the Alembic-sound ingredients and with the help of the filters countless sounds are possible.
From a Clarke-twang to a funky slap to great mids, it has it all. There are no scratches or anything, this thing has really been taken care of (you hàve to..)
There is a pre-shaped case for this great bass and it can be picked up (there's a Eurostar to Brussels) or send.
I'm asking 3150 euros...it doesn't really have to go but if I could have something which I can take along a bit more, I would feel more at ease
Trades : Fodera Monarch VW, Fodera Imperial (if possible not a 5 string but who knows) or perhaps a sixties Fender Jazz. Some cash to even out the differences can all be discussed. For any questions, feel free to email me.
Thanks for looking..

Gorgeous!

On woods, I'd say a flamed Walnut top with a maple laminate and mahogany body (neck maple with walnut [?] pinstripes).

There's an astonishing array of sounds available from the Signature electronics as you suggest. A really lovely bass but I think you've hit the same problem that a lot of Alembic owners confront.

Good luck!

I purchased this exact bass from the Bass Centre back in '03. The woods are Claro Walnut, maple stringer with a Mahogany back. The neck has an ebony fretboard. If I could afford it I would take her back.......alas,

Edited by alanbass1

Thanks for the information... i'll think about your proposition. I do love buckeye burl.
I'll first see what this post might arouse. (it's still not easy to find the right words in English when you're native Belgian :-)) I wanted to write "proposal" but I knew something wasn't right...

Hi Wombatboter,
Truly difficult for a non english native explaining in words how impressive is a bass like that, but at the same time how can you suffer with a piece like this outside home. I understand you perfectly, maybe you remember my sale thread:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=74514"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=74514[/url]
Same "problem" as you but I know now that I prefer a ding in the headstock playing live than missing a bass like this forever.
Best luck with the trade or sale mate, it's so astounding a Signature Alembic (and yours it's amazing) so maybe you finally will reconsider it as I did.
Anyway all the best and regards from Spain.

Thanks, I'll see how it goes.. not really expecting to sell this within a day. These are expensive basses and you have to find just the right person at the right time ànd with that amount of cash so luck has something to do with it.
When I use other basses like my Wal, Pedulla or Fender Jazz, they also have a different feel. Alembics are really a league of their own.
If a sale doesn't go through maybe a trade brings a solution. There's no hurry.