Why become a member? ×

Price check: Modulus Flea Bass 4 and Lakland DJ5

minty fresh death

It's a pain isn't it, you search for ages and then all of a sudden they all come at once :)

Could anyone give me an indication of the current 2nd hand market value of:

Flea Bass 4 string in sparkle blue, lane poor pup and badass bridge spec

Skyline DJ5 in white with Nordstrand Split Coil pickups, 3-band JZ3B Audere pre-amp

Both in very good condition.

Thanks!

Edited by minty fresh death

[quote name='minty fresh death' post='83369' date='Nov 4 2007, 01:03 AM']It's a pain isn't it, you search for ages and then all of a sudden they all come at once :)

Could anyone give me an indication of the current 2nd hand market value of:

Flea Bass 4 string in sparkle blue, lane poor pup and badass bridge spec

Skyline DJ5 in white with Nordstrand Split Coil pickups, 3-band JZ3B Audere pre-amp

Both in very good condition.

Thanks![/quote]

What's the year of the Modulus and do you have any other details ie how many previous owners etc a it's difficult to give a guide without further info. Does it have a matching headstock?

Ciao

Ian

Flea's generally sell in the region of £900-£1100 depending on condition. IMHO they're worth more so they're a very good buy second hand IF THEY'RE IN GOOD CONDITION. The US/UK exchange rate means that a USA deal for a new bass looks extremely attractive also (if you can find one). The PUP on this particular bass perhaps adds a bit of mojo and value, although whether or not you'll realy notice any tangible difference bwteen the LP and Modulus' more contemporary PUP/pre-amp combinations is hard to say.
A piece of advice based on my own experience - check the neck pocket very carefully! They are awesome basses and built like tanks, BUT I've spoken to more than one player who's either dropped theirs and damaged the pocket or has bought one used and has found the same (me included). I would guess given that the neck is so strong and so rigid, and given that the pocket is so well modeled and tight, something has to give if the end of the neck gets an impact? This is not a negative comment about the Flea Bass per say, they're not after all designed and built to be dropped or manhandled, but to be played. It's simply a warning of a potential problem if the bass has been in any way abused. Mine was fixed by Martin Simms and he's made an awesome job of it, but I wish I'd been a little more vigilant at the time of buying it (or been a bit more patient and bought new).
Cheers
Chris

Thanks for the advice guys, decided to buy tge DJ5, currently thinking about selling it atm since I brought it on a whim and now the bass i've been after for a while has popped up... the gibson ripper.

The Flea bass went for $1400, utter bargin, but just out of my price range... could of stretched to $1400 in p&p... but alas, it was not to be :)

I'm still decideing on the DJ5, I love it, but it doesn't do much more than my Sandberg can do... and that's mainly due to the 5th string! And I hope to get a Flea bass one day in that very spec, might have to wait a while though :huh:

thanks again