Why become a member? ×

Frustrating practice last night

neepheid

I found bi-amping to be helpful with this problem, higher frequencies one amp, low the other.

Have the higher frequency cab set on top of the low one so that higher frequencies are at chest/head level.

Not perfect, but it made life a little easier

T

:)

[quote name='bubinga5' post='757624' date='Feb 25 2010, 09:49 PM']This all sounds like there are too many variables for us less experienced..(me)...would be nice to have a general guide on do's or donts, for those of us who arent in the know...

A sticky (for dummies) on this would help many im sure.. come on 51m0n!!! :)[/quote]

The distance between your ear and the speaker makes the greatest difference to your ability to hear it. If your cab is a few inches behind your head, you'll hear yourself clearly. If your cab is pointing at the back of your legs then it will seem quieter with less definition.

The bass amps at the rehearsal studio I go to are all Ashdowns also, head + 4x10 cab from the ABM series I think. I hate them, I find it next to impossible to get a decent sound out of them, I've tried twiddling with pretty much everything and all I can get at an actual useable volume is boomy mush with absolutely no definition and nothing resembling cutting through whatsoever.

I bought an EBS Microbass II preamp off a basschatter, and I now put that straight into the effects return to bypass the Ashdown's preamp and it sounds blooming marvellous, my whole band noticed the difference the moment I started using it. I really got it for live use where I'm DI'ing but it's really come into its own already.

I know the Ashdowns are quite popular amps - I'd like to know where I was going wrong? They surely can't be that bad, but I found them pretty useless.