Why become a member? ×

What strings??

oldslapper

Got home yesterday with a recently aquired double bass. It's my first non-laminate acoustic.

Soild top/side/back. Old and "well played". Monster volume and tone.

I don't know the make, I'll have a look inside sometime. It's at a luthier having a set up today.

The strings on it are quite old and I'm worried about how long they'll last.

I'd like to put some replacements on whilst it's being looked at by the luthier fella.

Any suggestions?

The type of stuff I play on upright is trad jazz/gypsie/cowboy in a jazz quartet and then occasionally for a more mellow acoustic singer songwriter.

So one has a bit of "bounce" and the other more straight forward pizz style. Might bow in the latter gig for one or two songs, once I've sorted my technique out!!

I'm new (10 months) to upright playing, so although I've done some research, I'm still none the wiser other than I don't think I need "weedwackers"...whatever they are and there seems to be some folk who swear by "gut", others by steel.
It also looks like DB strings last a little longer than EB strings, so worth investing in something decent?
Appreciate any help please.
John

[quote name='Duckyincarnate' post='756556' date='Feb 24 2010, 10:13 PM']Innovations Honeys are pretty good value and will give a nice dark thumpy sound.[/quote]

How do the Honeys slap?I've got Spirocores on the bass I bought and slapping is not their forte!
Iain

[quote name='yanto' post='756561' date='Feb 24 2010, 10:17 PM']How do the Honeys slap?I've got Spirocores on the bass I bought and slapping is not their forte!
Iain[/quote]

I don't slap myself but my teacher uses the same strings and has no problems slapping. They are certainly lower tension than steel strings. Maybe some others can comment?

New to db has well. I had gearformusic strings on my bass that sounded and felt horrible immediately replaced with student cheap Astreas.
After some research got some Spirocore (weich) but found them a bit stiff (although they seem to be smoothing down a bit after a few months) and wanted something more dark/warm and gut sounding.So I have now some Evah Pirazzi (weich). I think that will try cheap gut strings(sintetic equivalent) at some point, however, I am very pleased with the sound Evah's do on my bass - pizzicato and bowed. I don't slap ...in a rockabilly way, more of a jazz occasional click.

I have Velvet Animas (a bit pricey though about £230 a set) and they feel great to me as they are lower tension than normal steel strings and feel really nice to play. I'm also a beginner and mostly doing pizz and they are great for that. I've had a go bowing with them and I can get a nice open string sound but my technique is rubbish at the moment so can't offer much experience or opinion in that area. I am led to believe they are a sort of compromise between steel and gut and pizz/arco so are a compromise string which is nice to pizz but will still bow adequately. All I can say is compared to the stock factory strings they are fantastic and worth every penny - I would certainly buy another set if I needed to replace them. Not a slap string though I don't think.

BTW congrats on the new bass oldslapper, look forward to seeing and hearing it :)

[quote name='teej' post='756733' date='Feb 25 2010, 08:41 AM']I slap a lot and I've just changed from Spirocores to Innovation Silver Slaps. I'm very pleased with them indeed, great strings. Just wondering why it took me so long to find them![/quote]

What are they like pizz?I play Western Swing/Honky Tonk so I need a string that's got a bit of thump and good fundamental but can be slapped as well.

If you want to be able to bow sometimes, you are automatically limited to orchestra or hybrid strings. Then if you want to slap too, I'd guess the best choice can be found somewhere between low tension hybrids like TI Spirocore Solo, D'addario Helicore Solo or Pirastro Obligato solo...

I've Helicore solos on my double bass, they are quite bright, they bow well and pizzicato sounds great too. However they don't produce very high volume, certainly due to their low mass. I had Spiros Orchestra before, they were much louder.

(I don't slap so I've no opinion on slap sound from these...)

[quote name='Greydad' post='756725' date='Feb 25 2010, 08:31 AM']BTW congrats on the new bass oldslapper, look forward to seeing and hearing it :rolleyes:[/quote]

Haha! It's ermmmm "lived in" shall we say, but sounds huge! Hopefully if we can get the bash organised I'll definitely bring it with me. :)

[quote name='yanto' post='756826' date='Feb 25 2010, 10:10 AM']What are they like pizz?I play Western Swing/Honky Tonk so I need a string that's got a bit of thump and good fundamental but can be slapped as well.[/quote]
I like them, a very easy string to play, almost too easy, it took a little while to get used to them. And don't stick them on just before a gig, they take a while to stretch and settle in. Be aware that they are big strings, so you might have to alter the grooves on your nut and bridge - I did.

I'm not sure how they compare with Honeys, I might try them next.

Here's a pic of the old beastie. just had a lovely set up. But didn't make my mind up on replacement strings yet, so will go back with new strings to be put on and any further adjustments.

Solid top/back/sides. Slightly bowed back. Such a massive sound. It's old and "well used", but I love it.

Also put EUB pics up (it's only a cheapie (£500)but authentic enough to get me the jazz gig)....

John

[quote name='oldslapper' post='763038' date='Mar 3 2010, 03:21 PM']Here's a pic of the old beastie. just had a lovely set up. But didn't make my mind up on replacement strings yet, so will go back with new strings to be put on and any further adjustments.

Solid top/back/sides. Slightly bowed back. Such a massive sound. It's old and "well used", but I love it.

Also put EUB pics up (it's only a cheapie (£500)but authentic enough to get me the jazz gig)....

John[/quote]

Did you look for the label in the bass?Would like to know what make it is-the wood looks very like sapele to me!
Enjoy

[quote name='yanto' post='763352' date='Mar 3 2010, 09:00 PM']Did you look for the label in the bass?Would like to know what make it is-the wood looks very like sapele to me!
Enjoy[/quote]

Had a look inside last night, no label! Looks like it's had a few repairs over the years mind.

Being a noob to DB, is sapele bad?

That certainly is an unusual looking bass!
Is the mahogany effect painted on...?? I can't quite tell from the photos.

My preferred strings these days are the Evah Pirazzi (weich)(ie lower tension). I mainly play pizz, but also do a bit of slapping (jazz) and bowing. They work well for me.