Why become a member? ×

Fender 70s Jazz Bass (MIM)

HMX

Hey guys,

I don't have a chance to try this out but I can get one of these for £450. It's the one with the black inlays.

I want a slimmer neck, typical of a jazz bass, BUT is this neck quite chunky (as I heard on the gearwire review)?

Any other thoughts on the bass from those who have played it?

Hmmmmm I played one the other day and the inlays were pearloid (well mother of toilet seat perhaps). The neck is pretty chunky much more so than my Geddy Lee Jazz which is based on a 70's bass. It didn't sound anything like my geddy frankly, even with the rear pickup moved nearer the bridge......but it's still a nice bass though, especially in sunburst.

[quote name='MythSte' post='755437' date='Feb 23 2010, 08:25 PM']Hmm, I'm pretty sure they're all pearloid. Mine sure is. And mines a very narrow Jazz neck.

If your thinking of the Squier Vintage modified Jazz then yes, It has black inlays and a wider neck.[/quote]
I realised my mistake just after posting it, but had to go. I mean pearloid :)

Thanks for your help, Ste

[quote name='HMX' post='755469' date='Feb 23 2010, 08:48 PM']I realised my mistake just after posting it, but had to go. I mean pearloid :)

Thanks for your help, Ste[/quote]

Your welcome!

You shouldnt be disappointed either, I've been through countless basses including some Laklands, Musicmen, Bacchus - the works. And my MIM Jazz is the one that's stayed the longest!

[quote name='MythSte' post='755472' date='Feb 23 2010, 08:50 PM']Your welcome!

You shouldnt be disappointed either, I've been through countless basses including some Laklands, Musicmen, Bacchus - the works. And my MIM Jazz is the one that's stayed the longest![/quote]
Good stuff. It's been offered to me at the same price of a Standard Jazz (from Reverb) at £450, as they were all out of them.

Thanks,

Carl

[quote name='MythSte' post='755472' date='Feb 23 2010, 08:50 PM']Your welcome!

You shouldnt be disappointed either, I've been through countless basses including some Laklands, Musicmen, Bacchus - the works. And my MIM Jazz is the one that's stayed the longest![/quote]
Some of the MIM jazz I've played recently have been really good, well excellent actually! There's one in Electromusic in Doncaster at the moment which is a real gem, one of the best I've ever played- it's candy apple red with a maple board, anyone round there should check it out, I'd buy it straight away if I wasn't broke!

[quote name='HMX' post='755480' date='Feb 23 2010, 08:56 PM']Good stuff. It's been offered to me at the same price of a Standard Jazz (from Reverb) at £450, as they were all out of them.

Thanks,

Carl[/quote]

Thats a good price, I managed to get mine a little cheaper this time last year, but that was before Fender went through the price increase - So really not bad at all!

[quote name='gjones' post='755282' date='Feb 23 2010, 06:10 PM']Hmmmmm I played one the other day and the inlays were pearloid (well mother of toilet seat perhaps). The neck is pretty chunky much more so than my Geddy Lee Jazz which is based on a 70's bass. It didn't sound anything like my geddy frankly, even with the rear pickup moved nearer the bridge......but it's still a nice bass though, especially in sunburst.[/quote]

To be fair, you can't compare them, while Geddy's was indeed a 70's bass, it's on record that he sanded the neck down on it to make it a fair bit thinner and his sig is based off that neck's dimesions, not standard 70's ones. The Geddy is also the slimmest neck Fender do on their full size basses iirc.