Why become a member? ×

Build your own pedal....

LukeFRC

Some of you may have seen me asking lots of questions about building your own pedal over on the effects forum... this is the actual build... set out for all your enjoyment and my own records...

[b]The background:[/b]

Pretty much the greatest bass tone I've ever got was when we were supporting a band at an under 16's night (glasvegas) and shared their backline. A massive heavy 100w '70s fender bassman head. That fatness of tone. My Hughes and Kettner Q600 head can get pretty close to that sound, as well as a more modern sound.
What it doesn't do is overdriven sounds.
My first splashing out as a bass player was bought with the first months pay of a new part time job. A [url="http://www.owenelectronics.co.uk/9939.html"]owen bass overdrive[/url]. It was lovely, all sorts of fuzzy sounds, I used it for a bit in my old band at the beginning but as an new player it wasn't getting used. I found this random bass forum and sold it.... (to 99ster)

Years later I start looking at effects again. lots of individual effects, yet I'm not sure what I want.
I end up buying a Line 6 Bass Pod xt live. Use it for a few months. I find it a bit bulky and heavy to cart around (i only have a push bike) and also find that live I cant find a way to set it up easily to sound good. (but it does confirm I can get a better Fender bassman type tone with the H&K!) Other things niggle, the ability to accidentally save over your patches as you try to set it up to the room, the sheer number of options, the daft cable inputs (why have them at the back if i will be stood behind it?) and so on. I sell it.
I found out that I was only using it for a number of things.
1) Tuner
2) an overdrive. not the effect but on the SVT model, it had the tone and responsiveness to touch I was looking for. I could dig in to make it overdrive, and play softly and it wouldn't.
3) chorus

Looking again at effects I found a website listing different Big muff versions, looking at the schematics i thought I saw a way that I could save money, learn to do something new and have fun...the brief

[b]the brief[/b]
one box.
two footswitches.
1) svt style overdrive
2) chorus

Powered off adapter or battery and cables in sensible places.
Oh and it has to fit in the front of my gigbag, if markbass can make a whole amp fit there surely i can build an effect that small.

so after looking up lots and lots of different schematics i settled on a smallstone clone and a transistor based overdrive effect.

my skills are limited
my aim is large....

here we go

Edited by LukeFRC

[quote name='mancunianfox' post='755159' date='Feb 23 2010, 04:28 PM']I think the chaos fuzz looks like my next build. Blend plus options for both germanium and silicon fuzz each with its own volume control. That sounds like a money idea.[/quote]

I had that in my shopping basket as well as a few other things to finish the build off, literally about to buy it, then my boss leans over my shoulder and says, "erm...work related?!". :blush:

:)

Think I'll buy it now though I'm home!

23rd feb.

So soldered the first half the OD together. not tested it yet beyond individual joints. eek. Hopefully it will work.....
anyway it's a wee OD i guess was originally based on the front end of a ampeg flip top. this circuit should be my approxamation of a catlinbread SFT

the chorus half im waiting on a pcb from the states.

I went and bought a box today from maplin. although a little one would be nice i couldn't see how i could use it as a foot switch with out a bit of space!

okayyyy it works kinda.... gain and volume max you can hear stuff and change the bass and treble, although not working brilliantly and doesn't work less than max, maybe i soldered the pot on upside down as it is a log penteometer... i guess going over each part with a multimeter is how you check it?

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='756669' date='Feb 25 2010, 12:38 AM']late at night so could only play it at a low low low low volume... but it works! Oh yeah it does!!!!!! :) my very own clone of a catlinbread SFT.... now waiting on the PCB arriving for the other half[/quote]

Good news Luke :rolleyes:

So I've just had it working with the P bass through it.

Amazed.
-Firstly with the gain right down the tone controls are very powerful. But in a musical way, I think it's a 'Baxandall' tone stack whatever that is. Sometimes when playing it feels like I've just got a guitar an octave down, just not enough bass, and the Eq on the amp doesn't seem to solve this... I've just found the solution.

-secondly.... it overdrives when I dig in. yay! I could set it to my playing style. Flat out sounds pretty good and the tone of the OD is quite well effected by the tone controls.

This thing sounds like I want a bass to sound! Very very impressed.

well due to me buying a larger enclosure that I needed, and the fact I'll have to wait a wee while for the circuit board to turn up I've modified my plans slightly back to the original idea.....

now it will be (based on)

Overdrive ---- Fuzz ---- chorus.
catalinbread SFT Sovtek Green Muff EH Small CLone.....

Here's to it working!

only just saw your reply!

Yes it is brilliant. I've not put it in an enclosure yet but playing with it outside i have to say the Eq controls are brilliant.
What it is AMAZING at, and what I've always missed in most other pedals I've had is that it's very touch sensitive, can do lovely warm motown style sounds too.