Why become a member? ×

DIY Fuzz Face

mancunianfox

First pedal I have built in ages. Silicon Fuzz Face with increased input and output caps for more bass. I used 2N222 transistors in this. Controls for Fuzz, Bias and Volume. First time painting an enclosure, a metallic red finish. Very hot output. Has two sounds really, a gated fuzz and a full on fuzzy meltdown.

Quite pleased with how it turned out although next time I think I will try some decals as well.

[quote name='mancunianfox' post='753238' date='Feb 21 2010, 08:48 PM']First pedal I have built in ages. Silicon Fuzz Face with increased input and output caps for more bass. I used 2N222 transistors in this. Controls for Fuzz, Bias and Volume. First time painting an enclosure, a metallic red finish. Very hot output. Has two sounds really, a gated fuzz and a full on fuzzy meltdown.

Quite pleased with how it turned out although next time I think I will try some decals as well.[/quote]

Very nice! :)
Paint job looks good too.

[quote name='LukeFRC' post='754567' date='Feb 22 2010, 11:58 PM']I saw it! (ill reply on your thread rather than mine!) any chance of a shot of its guts? just so i can steal ideas from you!
also you've got a really nice finish on it, what did you use to paint it?[/quote]

I'll try and send one to you. This was my first painted enclosure excluding the one I didn't use as I decided I didn't need to use primer. DON'T MAKE THIS MISTAKE!

Painting process:

Drilled the holes in the enclosure. Punch a guide so that the drillbit doesn't slip on the enclosure. I use a normal drill bit for metal to make a small hole and then get a unibit to enlarge the holes. Get a unibit. They are genius.

Sanded down enclosure to remove the oxidised aluminium and dirt. I didn't do this as much as I would if the box was going to be left bare as I hate sanding more than any other job in the world. Used a sanding block which had a few different grades on it. Heavier one first and then a finer one. After that I used a lighter fluid to clean any residue off of the enclosure and wiped that down with a cloth and left to dry off.

Then I used Plastikote Super Primer (Matt Grey) (about £6 for a big can in most shops). I didn't use the metal one although it probably would have been a good idea. I sprayed three light coats of primer. You want to use light coats rather than heavier ones to avoid runs (I hate sanding). I made a rig out of some polystyrene and old yoghurt pots so that none of the edges were touching a surface. This is so if the paint does run it would collect at the bottom of the enclosure. Leave this to dry.

You could sand this down with fine sandpaper though I didn't because there were no major flaws and I am lazy.

Next was Plastikote enamel spray paint. I used a small can of metallic red (this might be why I got a speckled finish). It cost me £3.50. I again sprayed three light-ish coats as directed and left to dry.

A lot of people bake this in a toaster oven to get a hard even coat. I didn't as I don't have toaster oven.

Finally to protect the paint I used some Humbrol clear paint I had in the house. Again, three light coats.

Put everything together and hope it looks ok. I had some slight blemishes using this method but nothing you would notice unless you were very close up. I was happy with this process and I will use it on my tubescreamer build.

[quote name='mancunianfox' post='754867' date='Feb 23 2010, 11:59 AM']I'll try and send one to you. This was my first painted enclosure excluding the one I didn't use as I decided I didn't need to use primer. DON'T MAKE THIS MISTAKE!

Painting process:

Drilled the holes in the enclosure. Punch a guide so that the drillbit doesn't slip on the enclosure. I use a normal drill bit for metal to make a small hole and then get a unibit to enlarge the holes. Get a unibit. They are genius.

Sanded down enclosure to remove the oxidised aluminium and dirt. I didn't do this as much as I would if the box was going to be left bare as I hate sanding more than any other job in the world. Used a sanding block which had a few different grades on it. Heavier one first and then a finer one. After that I used a lighter fluid to clean any residue off of the enclosure and wiped that down with a cloth and left to dry off.

Then I used Plastikote Super Primer (Matt Grey) (about £6 for a big can in most shops). I didn't use the metal one although it probably would have been a good idea. I sprayed three light coats of primer. You want to use light coats rather than heavier ones to avoid runs (I hate sanding). I made a rig out of some polystyrene and old yoghurt pots so that none of the edges were touching a surface. This is so if the paint does run it would collect at the bottom of the enclosure. Leave this to dry.

You could sand this down with fine sandpaper though I didn't because there were no major flaws and I am lazy.

Next was Plastikote enamel spray paint. I used a small can of metallic red (this might be why I got a speckled finish). It cost me £3.50. I again sprayed three light-ish coats as directed and left to dry.

A lot of people bake this in a toaster oven to get a hard even coat. I didn't as I don't have toaster oven.

Finally to protect the paint I used some Humbrol clear paint I had in the house. Again, three light coats.

Put everything together and hope it looks ok. I had some slight blemishes using this method but nothing you would notice unless you were very close up. I was happy with this process and I will use it on my tubescreamer build.[/quote]

thanks dude.
wee observation from artschool experience, mentioning plastikote brought back memories.... plastikote stuff is everywhere but does have limitations. it will not enjoy plastic as much as it seems to slightly disolve it. Car paint is too expensive.
find out where your local graphitti artists get their stuff from. It more or less is car paint, pretty good quality (far better than plastikote in my experience) and a third of the price.

Priming is a good tip! Ive got some spray on varnish left over somewhere too...

[quote name='mancunianfox' post='753238' date='Feb 21 2010, 08:48 PM']First pedal I have built in ages. Silicon Fuzz Face with increased input and output caps for more bass. I used 2N222 transistors in this. Controls for Fuzz, Bias and Volume. First time painting an enclosure, a metallic red finish. Very hot output. Has two sounds really, a gated fuzz and a full on fuzzy meltdown.

Quite pleased with how it turned out although next time I think I will try some decals as well.[/quote]

If you want decals then use this [url="http://www.inkandmedialtd.co.uk/acatalog/Inkjet_Waterslide_Decal_Paper.html"]http://www.inkandmedialtd.co.uk/acatalog/I...ecal_Paper.html[/url] . With my research I've gathered that this is the best paper for that sort of stuff. You get 8 sheets for £13.78 which isn't a bad deal. I will be trying decals on a effects loop that I'm building for my guitard so I'll post results here.

Funnily enough all the recent threads about DIY effects got me into building some and I have quite a few projects lined up so maybe we could create a collective thread where we can all post questions, pics etc ?

[quote name='mancunianfox' post='756102' date='Feb 24 2010, 02:18 PM']Maybe a stickied DIY thread in the effects section? That would be cool.

Finishing a simple blend circuit tonight :)[/quote]

Very good idea, I'm sure one of the mods will do this for us. BTW if you want to try the paper drop me a PM and I can send you 1 sheet, I've got 8 and I doubt I will use them all given that you can fit about 5 decals on 1 sheet.