Why become a member? ×

Best affordable recording device

KASH

I'm looking for a cheap recorder to record rehearsals, etc...

Atm the Zoom H2 is on my top list, however I'm a bit concerned about the quality...we are a loud band and play through a 4.5k PA, quite a big room too. I know, we can always turn down, still ,the room accoustics is pretty 'live'.

We previously recorded a couple of songs with our former vocalist using his Fostex LR16, bass, drum triggers and mics via DI, and drums overheads and for guitar - all straight into the desk. Although the process is much lenghtier, the sound quality was pretty good.

Is it worth buying a cheap portable recorder or should I invest on a multitrack instead? (any cheap multitrack options?)

Another question, can the Zoom H2 be connected directly to the mixing desk?...that way we could go through the desk and record :)

anyone?

I've had both the H2 and the H4. The H2 is idiot-proof (useful for me, then) but the H4 is the way to go is you want to plug it into the desk and start doing 4-track stuff.

I keep mine set to simple mp3 recordings, use it at every gig and most rehearsals. The sound quality is fine for my purposes and (I imagine) also fine for YouTube & MySpace. I wouldn't record my first album on it, mind.

Does anyone know much about Gigbaby on the iphone - seems to be a very cheap 4 track recorder to me?

[quote name='KASH' post='753124' date='Feb 21 2010, 07:17 PM']I'm looking for a cheap recorder to record rehearsals, etc...

Atm the Zoom H2 is on my top list, however I'm a bit concerned about the quality...we are a loud band and play through a 4.5k PA, quite a big room too. I know, we can always turn down, still ,the room accoustics is pretty 'live'.

We previously recorded a couple of songs with our former vocalist using his Fostex LR16, bass, drum triggers and mics via DI, and drums overheads and for guitar - all straight into the desk. Although the process is much lenghtier, the sound quality was pretty good.

Is it worth buying a cheap portable recorder or should I invest on a multitrack instead? (any cheap multitrack options?)

Another question, can the Zoom H2 be connected directly to the mixing desk?...that way we could go through the desk and record :)

anyone?[/quote]

[quote name='Happy Jack' post='753274' date='Feb 21 2010, 09:36 PM']I've had both the H2 and the H4. The H2 is idiot-proof (useful for me, then) but the H4 is the way to go is you want to plug it into the desk and start doing 4-track stuff.

I keep mine set to simple mp3 recordings, use it at every gig and most rehearsals. The sound quality is fine for my purposes and (I imagine) also fine for YouTube & MySpace. I wouldn't record my first album on it, mind.[/quote]

I reckon 4 tracks wouldn't be enough anyway...maybe the H2 does the job? In terms of sound quality, standard recording 360 degrees, is there a difference between the two?