Why become a member? ×

Looking to run 2 bass amps

Archetype

Hey everyone,
So being the metal type bass player that I am i have decided the best way for my sound is via 2 amps, or one amp powering 2 cabs, One for the low end, nice and clean but deep. And the distorted or effected highs. That way i will always have the deep low end.
Problem is finding the amps.
I was thinking of the Ampeg BSP of SVT-5. Both are a bit hard to get and have the downside the OD channel only does overdrive.
So im now thinking of another amp, not sure which, and a Line 6 POD of some kind for all my effects.

Any ideas on this kind of setup, and also suggestions for a splitter box to run the 2 amps?

Cheers
G

You'll require some form of active X-over to do this any justice G, added to which what cabs do you intend utilising?

There's an almost identical thread/question asked every couple of months (in fact an identical one started today on the Warwick forum) so it might be of use to search the site for previous suggestions/ideas. :)

You should check out Tim Commerford's rig.

He uses 3 heads and 3 cabs.

Dunno what he uses now, make wise, but he was using 3 Ampeg SVT-2PRO heads, an 8x10 and two 4x10's

All with separate heads, 8x10 cab always running clean, 4x10 always set quite dirty and another 4x10 set really dirty.

Using a splitter box he runs the 810 clean channel all the time and kicks either of the other two 410's in additionaly (or both i think) when he wants some filth.

So I suppose a simple version of his chain would be

Bass Guitar >>>>> splitter channel A (always on) >>>>> Clean signal >>>> head and cab A
channel B >>>>>> some distortion/overdrive >>>> head and cab B
channel C >>>>>> some other distortion/overdrive >>>> head and cab C

Nightmare for the sound guy!

[quote name='velvetkevorkian' post='752655' date='Feb 21 2010, 12:31 PM']Considered a multi effects? Both the Boss GT-10b and the Line6 Pod X3 range can run two tones at once, so you can have one dirty and one clean. Probably less hassle than running two separate amps.[/quote]

+1

That solution would be way cheaper, incredibly easy to lug around, much more versatile... I love my Line6 bass pod XT live and the X3 is even better IME.