Why become a member? ×

Tuning

jdt

If you have a tuner tune the E string to D, one tone below.

You could play the D octave, 5th fret on the A string, and tune down the E string using that as a guide.

Or do as I do and install Hipshot D tuner in place of your E string tuning head so you can just flip to a low D and back really quickly and quietly.

There are quite a few songs ou there with drop D tuning, so now you know. The low D really feels good compared to E. check it out and enjoy - get those trouser legs flapping!

The band I am in uses only drop D tuning.

Best way is with a good tuner. Remember to retune the whole bass, as slackening the bottom string will affect the other strings a small amount.

Quick way, play the open D, then fret the E at the 12th fret, and tune down.

If you are using light guage strings, and are planning on using drop D a lot, then it might be worth going to a 105, or 110 on the bottom, as lighter guages get a bit flappy. You might also have the raise the bridge saddle a little to prevent fret buzz.

[quote name='mep' post='751355' date='Feb 19 2010, 08:54 PM']Or do as I do and install Hipshot D tuner in place of your E string tuning head so you can just flip to a low D and back really quickly and quietly.[/quote]

How does that work? I've never actually heard of that before -- maybe I'm just old fashioned and tune via tuner :)

[quote name='Rosh' post='752126' date='Feb 20 2010, 07:48 PM']How does that work? I've never actually heard of that before -- maybe I'm just old fashioned and tune via tuner :)[/quote]

Here is a photo of the Hipshots on 2 of my basses, a StingRay and Charvel. They come in various types and colours, and there should be one for each type of machine head. They are a direct replacements for the original ones. You set them up and can the flick between E & D typically or a bit lower if you want. The black Gotoh one has the lever out in Drop mode. The StingRay one is in E mode. I have to admit this one was originally for a old Precission and it is a little too big for a Ray, but still works. (The other bit of harware on the Ray is a Fat Finger in case you were wondering). You can buy them online from the states or from the Bass Centre. There's no more having to tune and re-tune between songs or even worse forgetting to tune back and being stuck in Drop D. With these once you've tuned in to D you flip between very quickly. I've been knon to flip to Drop D at the end of a song just to get that last note nice and low.

[attachment=43242:hipshots.jpg]