Why become a member? ×

Power Handling Enquiry

cLepto-bass

Sorry if this has come up before, I did try looking for the answer but couldnt find it.

In a nutshell, would it be completely wrong to plug a cab with 250w power handling into a 300w head. I know its a potentially stupid question but just fancied some real world opinions on this matter. Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

I always say avoid this if you can... as it is too easy to break the chassis...

It is ok to do it in controlled circustances, ie playing at home, but it is easy to lose control if in rehearsal or at gigs
As in, I need the volume, I'll just turn up a bit more, it sounds ok etc....

Maybe this is more a legacy of my speaker experiences over the years, but I never like mismatched rigs..

So long as you stay out of distortion levels you should be safe enough. The ratings of most speakers are EIA or something similar which is how much continuous power they can handle without overheating. If your peaks are 300W then your average level will be at least 10dB down unless you are using effects/distortion or compression which means an average of 30W.

Since you don't say what amp or speaker or tell us the impedance of the speaker it is quite possible if it is an 8ohm speaker that you won't be producing 300W anyway.

There is a risk but a small one the only way to be 100% safe is to use an over specced cab by 140%. It wouldn't worry me so long as the tone stays clean.

Cheers for the insight people. I suppose it would help if I was a bit more specific.

The amp I am using is a Markbass LMII. I am off to uni later this year and need to seriously downsize my rig so was considering one of those EBS neo110 cabs which is rated at 250w. The setup would only be used in a small room and would need to be relatively quiet anyway so as not to upset the neighbours.

If there are any other, cheap suggestions that people can recommend then that would be great.

Thanks again.