Why become a member? ×

Just bought my first wood!

Thunderpaws

Cut my fret wire and ground the ends to length yesterday. Next I do the nut. Put what I have together to get a picture of what it will look like.

Next is the pup choice.

I was going to go with Wizard PJ, however I am open to suggestions.

I've added a picture of yesterdays action!

g
[attachment=53732:IMG_7885.JPG]

3 things.

Firstly, I just bought some pups for my bass.

Wizard PJ combo BIG....can't wait. Hopefully this thing will fill me with pleasure.

Secondly, who knows where I can get a good quality wiring kit with one volume and one blend control?

Thirdly, my bass needs a name....I was going with Thunderpaws Bass Guitars, open for others.

g

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='892582' date='Jul 12 2010, 10:20 AM']Looking great so far. You can get wiring kits from Axes'r'Us online, or go to Bobs bitsbox and order the separate pots, caps , etc. and do your own, following one of the schematics from the Seymour Duncan Schematics pages.[/quote]

Thanks. Top tip.

I have never done anything with circuits and never really done much soldering so this should be fun. I think I need to sit down and work out what each bit actually does.

cheers

g

Lookin' good! If the router has dug in around the horns you could always re-profile them a bit with a sander - they're fairly chunky so could take some slimming down without any ill effects to the looks or the structure. The other way to deal with it could be to give a bit of relic treatment if that's your kind of thing.

Keep us posted whatever you do :)

[quote name='henry norton' post='892767' date='Jul 12 2010, 01:36 PM']Lookin' good! If the router has dug in around the horns you could always re-profile them a bit with a sander - they're fairly chunky so could take some slimming down without any ill effects to the looks or the structure. The other way to deal with it could be to give a bit of relic treatment if that's your kind of thing.

Keep us posted whatever you do :)[/quote]

Cheers, I've already come to the conclusion that I'll be reshaping the horns. Shouldn't take too much. I still want to do binding around the top though, so the top should stay pretty much the same, just a bit more carving to do once I have my pup cavities routed. Not doing that til they arrive though. As for the binding channel, I want to cut the rebate by hand as I have a carved/curved top. However, have you seen how much a purfling tool is?! Just about as much as nut files. Those are the two tools I really need. Unless there's another way of cutting the rebate, maybe just with a marking gauge and a chisel!

g

• 2 months later...