Why become a member? ×

Markbass or Gallien Krueger?

Duyster

Hi,

Last Tuesday I played on a couple of Markbass amplifiers and cabinets. My favourite was the [b]Little Mark Tube 800[/b] combined with the [b]STD 102 HF [/b]cabinet.

Another option is a [b]Gallien Krueger 1001rb-II[/b] combined with a [b]410 RBH[/b] cabinet

I can both buy them for 1500 euro, I think I'll go for the Markbass... Only problem is that people say you can get much better cabinets for less money, but it sounded good to me...

Any thoughts?

These are two very different flavours of good. I thought that the LM Tube 800 lacked everything that I was looking for in a tube preamped head but it has a great sound of its own nonetheless just don't expect valve grunt and heft. Having had that exact GK rig in the past my experiences are that it sounds fantastic and has [i]that[/i] GK tone but it is heavy. Go with your ears.

BTW: I didn't vote.

If you like the MB, why not get it? Worst that can happen is you like the GK rig too.

I voted GK, I own a RB700-II that's currently running into a 210RBH (swapping to a Neo 212 for more volume) and it sounds beautiful. If I could afford the 410RBH and the back surgery I'd need every 6 months from moving it about, I wouldn't even hesitate. All comes down to taste though.

Edit: and be careful, GKs are known for being loud and my 210RBH (which has similar specs to the MB STD 102 HF in that it's 2x10 400w at 8ohms) isn't really loud enough for gigging.

Edited by ThomBassmonkey

I think I'm going for the Markbass, just got a nice deal with a new shop here.

One last question: Will the 102HF 8 Ohm cab, rated at [b]400 watts[/b] rms be a problem with the power of the LMT 800 ([b]500 watts [/b]at 8 ohm) ?

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but I'm quite the rookie...