Why become a member? ×

Dick Knight Custom Built Explorer (1977 - SAHB/Nazareth related) FS!

Here's a really special guitar, and a piece of history too!

This guitar was built in 1977 (Oct 1977 stamped into the headstock) for Chris Glen of (at that time) The Sensational Alex Harvey Band. It was then used by Zal Cleminson with SAHB on the Fourplay tour, and also with Nazareth when he joined them. It is viewable on youtube if you type in 'Nazareth Whatever You Want Babe'.

I bought the guitar a little under two years ago, and unfortunately when I recieved it, the headstock (like many Explorer style guitars) had a crack, which was not mentioned when I bought the instrument. It was also in an old (and I suspect original) shabby case, with an old white coily cable in there too. I had the headstock crack repaired by Nigel Stockbridge in Richmond, who has fixed a few things up for me, and is highly reccomended, his work is fantastic. We also decided to run a small aluminium strip along the back of the machineheads, strengthening the headstock further - come to think of it, people pay good money for those small metal attachments to headstocks to 'increase sustain', so I suppose this is a sustain enhancing feature too...anyway. I also bought a brand new ABS moulded case for the guitar which cost a good £90. BOTH CASES ARE INCLUDED WITH THIS SALE, INCLUDING THE COILY LEAD THAT WAS IN THE OLD CASE.

The guitar itself, then. The neck pickup is a P90, which I've had looked at, and it looks to be a Gibson pickup, most likely taken from a mid 60's SG Special or similar. The bridge pickup is an early Dimarzio Dual-Sound (which is coil-splittable via the small toggle on the pickguard). Mahogany body and neck, ebony fretboard with trapezoid inlays. The binding is all in fantastic shape, as is the pickguard.

In short, the guitar is ALL ORIGINAL, like the day it left Dick Knight's hands when it was made. For anyone not in the know about Dick Knight/Knight Guitars work, check out www.knight-guitars.com - one of the greatest luthiers of all time, with some interesting endorsements too. The company itself, still ran by Dick's son, is still making phenomenal guitars.

A fantastic playing and sounding guitar, and obviously it looks amazing too! I have gigged the guitar a few times, where it's always sounded out of this world, and turned a good few heads, guitar experts and non-musicians. But it has spent most of it's time with me just sitting looking pretty, ha!

I've been in touch with Knight Guitars and had a good bit chat about this instrument, and it's value.

After this little chat, I've decided to ask for £1,600 for the guitar (including the old case, the new case, and the coily cable - the most important bit, ha!). I may still be interested in trades, or deals involving other instruments.

If you want any more pics, have any questions, or want to discuss buying, give me an e-mail at [email protected]

Cheers, Tom

[quote name='molan' post='751409' date='Feb 19 2010, 09:51 PM']Now if this was a Zal Cleminson SAHB SG I would be biting your arm off, lol.

Looks really nice nevertheless :)[/quote]

He might bite someone's arm off for that old SG too! Got nicked years back, 1974 or something...though think he's still got a Black SG Standard...

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='tubepigeon' post='761945' date='Mar 2 2010, 04:21 PM']Btw - one of Zal's more recent guitars (a Tele/Strat copy style) was sold for over £3000 recently...had a couple of offers for this but nothing in the right ballpark.

Swaps are welcome![/quote]

Hey Tom,

What's a guitarist/drummer/frontman doing hanging out with us low-enders? Don't tell me your going to take up bass next? :)