Why become a member? ×

1977 Fender Precision Bass NOW SOLD

paulie

I am selling my 1977 Precision Bass.

Its in the classic black with black scratchplate and maple neck (think Phil Lynot or Roger Waters)

This bass is in excellent condition with just a few minor nicks, and a little laquer nick or two on the neck and the body.

It only weighs 8.5lbs which is exceptionally light for a 70's Fender.

It is 100% original (the nut was replaced with a brass one in 1978, which was a typical mod at the time)
Serial number on the back of the scratchplate matches the one on the headstock. Pots date to 1976, pickups, wiring, thunbrest and all hardward is 100% original.

It has a beautiful straight neck with low action and the truss rod has never needed attention.

The bass comes withs its original chrome bridge cover but I dont have the pickup one.

It comes with a Fender vintage re-issue case as shown.

Price £1700

I think this is a fair price for a light, original Fender is this condition. It will of course go up in value as these become more difficult to find!

[attachment=42666:IMG_0180_1.JPG]
[attachment=42668:IMG_0182.JPG]
[attachment=42667:IMG_0181.JPG]
[attachment=42669:IMG_0184.JPG]

Edited by paulie

I should have mentioned on my original post that I am willing to accept trades for this bass.
4 string only Im afraid and my preferences would be for one of the following :

Modulus flea, Sadowsky, Lakland or possibly a musicman.

Cheers

[quote name='paulie' post='749254' date='Feb 18 2010, 07:50 AM']I should have mentioned on my original post that I am willing to accept trades for this bass.
4 string only Im afraid and my preferences would be for one of the following :

Modulus flea, Sadowsky, Lakland or possibly a musicman.

Cheers[/quote]

Lovely looking bass

I have a Modulus flea that im looking to sell/trade (in the for sale section)...But im thinking this might be a touch out of my price range.

Bump for a fabulous looking example of a 70's P bass!

Looking at it, I'm kicking myself for getting shot of my '76 Sunburst a few years ago. God, what on earth was I thinking?! :)

If you and Nick don't do a deal on his lovely silver flake Flea, fancy having first dibs on my blue flake!? :rolleyes:

T

[b]

PRICE DROP![/b]

I am dropping the price on this bass to [u][b]£1500[/b][/u] but thats it!

THis is a great value bass, so light and in such good nick for its age. Plus its got the cool colour combination, much more rock and roll than the natural finish ones (imo)

Thanks

This Phil Lynot number is still for sale.

Light weight

100% original (except for the replaced nut)

Excellent condition

Black on Black with the maple board a la Roger Waters

I will include the Tolex Fender hardcase with this

[b]£1500 and this price will include shipping by courier[/b]

I've never owned a Fender (except the Musicman that I learned on thirty years ago!), but suddenly I find myself drawn to an older Jazz or Precision.... Two questions Paulie:

1. Do these instrruments really appreciate in value very much?
2. Would you be interested in a 1986 Status series II?

One can but ask!!

[quote name='Conan' post='768810' date='Mar 9 2010, 08:03 AM']I've never owned a Fender (except the Musicman that I learned on thirty years ago!), but suddenly I find myself drawn to an older Jazz or Precision.... Two questions Paulie:

1. Do these instrruments really appreciate in value very much?
2. Would you be interested in a 1986 Status series II?

One can but ask!![/quote]

Hi Conan

Any 70's Fender that is light, in good condition and in original condition will increase in value over time. Its hard to say by how much but suffice to say that they are harder to come by now than say 10 years ago. All the 60's basses are gone so collectors are now moving on to nice 70's ones.
As long as the bass is original, a good weight and in good shape it will be worth more.

Look at the prices in Vintage and Rare in London or Bath and you will get an idea of the value of these instruments.

Status is a nice bass but not my cup o tea

Cheers
Paulie

Definately yes!

Some people say that a heavy bass = heavier tone but thats not true.

THe truth is that late 70's Fenders were redicuously heavy because Fender were no longer sourcing choice woods. Ash bodies in particular got very heavy around this time.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...