Why become a member? ×

Cleaning sticky cr@p off Jazz pickup covers

Clarky

I have managed to track down the original pickups for my 73 Jazz. Just arrived and they are covered in gunk from the old owner, including white adhesive from sticking plasters that had been placed at one end of each of the pickups (maybe to help him with thumb placement, can't think why else?)

Any tips on how can I clean the black pickup covers? I don't know how robust they are - ie, if I used something like white spirit would it clean the covers but also damage them? All help gratefully received, ta.

[quote name='Clarky' post='743561' date='Feb 12 2010, 10:31 PM']I have managed to track down the original pickups for my 73 Jazz. Just arrived and they are covered in gunk from the old owner, including white adhesive from sticking plasters that had been placed at one end of each of the pickups (maybe to help him with thumb placement, can't think why else?)

Any tips on how can I clean the black pickup covers? I don't know how robust they are - ie, if I used something like white spirit would it clean the covers but also damage them? All help gratefully received, ta.[/quote]

Have you tried just soaking them in warm soapy water? I wouldn't think an alcohol-based solvent would do anything to them but water's always the safest option to start with.
EDIT: Naturally, I mean the covers only without the pickups in!

Edited by LawrenceH