Why become a member? ×

Strings on Godin Acoustibass

saxobass

Have just bought and defretted a Godin 4 string Acoustibass about 15 nor so years old. VERY nice. I have put on D`Addario flatwounds and don`t much like either the feel or sound of them. Soundwise they are very clear and piano like, but I`m trying to approach my upright bass sound and wondered if there was a better alternative. I`ve heard that tape (Plastic?) wound are mellower, and I believe that there is some kind of nylon alternative. Does anyone have any experience or advice, please?

Edited by saxobass

I had one of those back in 1994. Fretless, all black with cream binding around the top, ebony board, apparently mine was the fretless that toured the trade shows that year and I got it for half price in Denmark Street as a result, £400 IIRC. Bloody amazing sounding bass that was. I remember someone I bumped into that weekend loved the look of it and gave me a Harrods duster to keep it smudge-free! :)

TBH I always put Rotos Swing Bass 66 on mine, sounded mega. Wasn't really going for an upright sound though.

Edited by thisnameistaken

I've got a home made shallow body acoustic bass with Picato Black Nylons on. I can't imagine playing fretless with any other type of string.
Sound samples here: [url="http://www.myspace.com/dominicallanbagpipes"]www.myspace.com/dominicallanbagpipes[/url]
It's the last track on the media player , you have to scroll the tracks down to find it.

Edited by Dom in Somerset

Hi,

I have the very same bass and up until recenty I used the black nylon rotosound strings and they were fantastic. I have since changed them to round wounds because the project i am doing at the minute need a brighter sound to it (more zing). But the bass sounded at its best with the nylon rotosounds. Highly recommended!!

[quote name='markbass555' post='742804' date='Feb 12 2010, 08:39 AM']Hi,

I have the very same bass and up until recenty I used the black nylon rotosound strings and they were fantastic. I have since changed them to round wounds because the project i am doing at the minute need a brighter sound to it (more zing). But the bass sounded at its best with the nylon rotosounds. Highly recommended!![/quote]
All interesting stuff so far. Many thanks, and hoping for more.
Markbass.....I see that you have both a Tokai Jazz Sound and a Vintage Icon Jazz fretless: how would you compare them (since they stem from the same inspirational source)? I`d like a fretless jazz and am borrowing a Tokai fretless. I like the latter and would like to buy it but am not sure whether the owner will part from it. If he doesn`t, I`ve been wondering about the Vintage since I really like and rate my VB 940FL.