Why become a member? ×

SX Shortscale P, OLP Levin 5 string

Jamesemt

Precision Special now sold

OLP Levin natural 5 String. Ive fitted a white pearloid pickguard. One ding on the headstock which was there when I bought it. Otherwise as brand new. This is a 'good' one - as with a lot of Chinese made instruments the quality varies greatly, this one is spot on. In fact I'd go as far as to say it's as good as the new budget MM range... Apparently the last Levin into the country. £220 with slightly tatty (but fully functional) hard case.

SX shortscale Precision in sunburst. Immaculate as brand new (only played a couple of times) and just set up by Jon Shuker with Roto Nickels. Comes with a short scale hard to find hard case (which I had to buy from the states...) therefore £140.

[u]Consider swapping any of the above for a good Jazz spec Fender neck - the tattier the better as it's for a relic build. Must be Jazz width - Precision A neck fine too. Can add cash into the deal.[/u]

Collection from Hull/ courier also OK. If you have a good neck to part ex then I'll travel just about anywhere in the country...

Edited by Jamesemt

Way too cheap. I've got the CAR version of this bass and it is an outstandingly well made, and surprisingly versatile, instrument that really is ajoy to play. Don't be put off by the fact that it's an 80's Fender (I know some people are), that bass is a real player.

C

These really are very good basses indeed - something quite different from a standard Precision and built during a renaissance period for Fender. I had one (in fabulous condition) and regret selling it - the circuit really is impressive for an early attempt with active electronics. I can't quite remember what the neck dimensions are (is it J width?) - it may be worth posting. Good luck with the sale - a very lovely bass (but you're right, they're very heavy)

[quote name='lozbass' post='743225' date='Feb 12 2010, 04:01 PM']These really are very good basses indeed - something quite different from a standard Precision and built during a renaissance period for Fender. I had one (in fabulous condition) and regret selling it - the circuit really is impressive for an early attempt with active electronics. I can't quite remember what the neck dimensions are (is it J width?) - it may be worth posting. Good luck with the sale - a very lovely bass (but you're right, they're very heavy)[/quote]

It's not a Jazz neck - think it's a 'B' in terms of nut width and shape - although the neck isn't as chunky as a 78 Precision I had...or as Pancake like as an early 80s Elite that Ive just sold...

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='741691' date='Feb 11 2010, 07:34 AM']I've got a dodgy shoulder which isnt getting any better, so I'm going to have to go to something really lightweight. Photos to follow...[/quote]

BTW James, try taking the brass thumbrest off, just took mine off and it weighs about 2kg! Fender were clearly into quality in '81!

[quote name='Beedster' post='743422' date='Feb 12 2010, 07:34 PM']BTW James, try taking the brass thumbrest off, just took mine off and it weighs about 2kg! Fender were clearly into quality in '81![/quote]
Haha - this is true - I couldn't believe how much it weighed on mine. On a serious note, it really might be worth replacing the bridge too with a gold standard folded plate version - the bridge weighs about 5x the thumb rest (and may mean you could keep the bass?)

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Jamesemt' post='751875' date='Feb 20 2010, 03:55 PM']Still for sale and now the Precision is 1/2lb lighter without the thumbrest and plastic knobs instead of the brass ones... :)[/quote]

Did the knobs come off without any hassle? I remember them being very tight when I had a Precision Special. I suppose the 'rest and original knobs are included in the sale?

A lovely instrument - highly recommended - good, modern slap tone for a vintage(ish) bass

[quote name='lozbass' post='760575' date='Mar 1 2010, 11:41 AM']Did the knobs come off without any hassle? I remember them being very tight when I had a Precision Special. I suppose the 'rest and original knobs are included in the sale?

A lovely instrument - highly recommended - good, modern slap tone for a vintage(ish) bass[/quote]

When I first bought it I stripped everything off to Brasso it - they were a bit sticky then

Yep everything included in the sale - a Precision B neck is still causing cramps in my neck hand which I just don't get with a Jazz neck. God damn early arthritis and small hands...

I'm gobsmacked that the Precision hasn't sold. I love mine to death, unlike most Precisions, it's extremely versatile, doing anything from real Motown thump through to a pretty coinvincing Flea-esque slap, as well as most things in-between. The neck's a dream to play, and the build quality is without doubt the equal of anything the current FCS produce (and I've owned enough of them to make that comparison BTW). The only other Precision I've owned that was in this league in terms of tone, build and versatility was my Sadowsky, which says a lot. There are probably a few BCers out there currently playing Jazzes and not quite cutting through the mix who should really be playing this.

And it's one year off vintage!

And it's got the matching headstock!

If I could afford it, this would be on it's way to Beedster Towers to be joined with a lovely '77 maple fretless neck

C

Bah - No matter how i slice it, I can't justify buying the SX. I've already bought 3 basses since Xmas and I think this one, no matter how teeny and keenly priced, might be some kind of tipping point!

The shortscale club thread at TalkBass has loads of info on modding these into some pretty serious creatures by the way!