Why become a member? ×

Ashdown Superfly outer case removal

xverminate2

Hi,
Pleased with the unit and decided to rackmount.
The unit is too heavy for the supplied rack ears with the outer case still fitted.
I have heard that the unit can be stripped down to looking like a little giant.

Is this true,if so,how do I strip down.
Many thanks
Greg

It's dead easy, as said just remove the screws and you're there! I found the outer screws very flimsy and they can rattle loose when you're using the amp causing all sorts of horrible noises.

Under all the extra metal it's the same case as the Little Giant i think.

If you get rubber feet you can screw them into 4 existing holes with slightly longer screws, i also ground down the corners as they're really sharp. It's been really reliable since it's facelift, used to cut out all the time but it's been fine with no problems being run for a long practices, touch wood.

I removed the outer case on my Superfly too – I haven’t bothered rack-mounting it (defeats the object of owning a compact amp) so I put some self adhesive rubber feet on the underside to lift it up about 10mm.

It seems to run cooler than before, but to make sure – especially in the warm environment of most gigs, I’ve connected a small 12 volt PC cooling fan to a mains transformer and just place this on top of the amp, so that the fan pulls the warm air out of the vents on the top – it really makes a big difference.

As I can’t justify the expense of buying a backup amp for the few gigs I do, the fan will hopefully prevent any problems due to overheating. :)

[quote name='mansfield' post='744069' date='Feb 13 2010, 03:33 PM']When taking my Superfly out of the outer case, I realised you only actually need to remove the silver front facia of the outer case - then the head itself just slides out (rather than dismantling the entire case...).

Quite handy.[/quote]
Sorry for the late reply lads.
Many thanks for the advise,removed 6 front and 2 side screws and it slid out.
Greg :)