Why become a member? ×

Thinking about selling my black P bass

Delberthot

I have the urge to go back to a 5 string as its been a few years now that I've been using a 4 and I feel that its time for a change again.

At the end of last year I put together a bass using top notch parts but am unsure of how much it would be worth so thought I'd get an idea here before I put it up as I don't want to under or overvalue it.

The body comes from a brand new MIM Precision with a body date of October 2009. The neck and neck plate are from a mid 80s MIJ Fender Precision. The machineheads are from a 1978 MIA Fender Precision. Allparts mirror scratchplate, CTS pots, switchcraft jack, paper in oil cap, schaller straplocks, Gotoh 201 bridge and for the finale - a Jason Lollar pickup.

I'm not going to be selling this to get just any bass. This is a fantastic bass and there is little that could touch it but I am finding the urge to get myself a Stingray 5 string overwhelming.

I'm not 100% selling the bass, if its not going to be worth as much as i like or I can't find what i am looking for then I'll keep it until I either change my mind or find a stingray 5 string.

I am pretty picky about colour. Its going to have to be Lava Pearl or Black but I could be tempted by other non run of the mill colours or something that bit different.

[

Fire away with any thoughts and suggestions but keep any offers to PM only - this isn't a for sale thread, just trying to get an idea of what its worth but if you absolutely must have it then who am I to resist the lure of cash?

And the star wars knob stays with me - I have the full set

Edited by Delberthot

it's quite simple... if you're selling it, you have to set a price... and it should be in the for sale forum...

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=71363&view=findpost&p=691868"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...st&p=691868[/url]

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=SR&f=19"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?act=SR&f=19[/url]

see rule 5

as for price... take the sum total of all the bits you put together to make it, then half it...

I know, cruel isn't it...

I agree the price it will sell will be around half the cost of the parts, maybe a little more. If it is as you say a real good bass I would keep it as you never know when you might want to go back to four string sometime in the future. It would be a shame to let a bass that you really like go for peanuts only to spend a lot more later on chasing the very thing you offloaded.

Probably worth more to you than to sell it. Effectively you have an old MIJ neck on a MIM body. The fact the tuners are from a 78 MIA is neither here nor there. You'd probably fair better breaking it up for parts. Don't get me wrong, the love that has gone into assembling it is clearly there but as a package I reckon you'd not get much more than £350 at most. Split it up and it'd be a different story. Looks great but from experience the modifications are always a personal thing and not to everyone's tastes

I've fired it on Ebay to see how things go.

This was never a for sale thread and I am aware of the rules on here but thanks for pointing them out for anyone else. :)

My only intension was to see if anyone knew what it might be worth before actually offering it for sale.

If I don't get enough for it on Fleabay then I'll split it and sell the individual parts.

>as for price... take the sum total of all the bits you put together to make it, then half it...
>I know, cruel isn't it...

Hehe - true, true (rueful nod)

+1 Burritobass, was about to post along similar lines. If it's the money you're after, then breaking is the way to go (someone, somewhere is going to be hankering after a set of 78 MIA tuners and you'll get more for them on the strength of that alone). Likewise the other bits - mid '80s Japanese necks are well liked as project starters, etc.

Bah, I say keep the bugger - you'll miss those lovely warm Lollars...:)