Why become a member? ×

Which PA amp?

andyonbass

Hi, my sons youth project have been donated a pair of [url="http://www.e-av.co.uk/manufacturers/hz/hz-he200-full-range-speakers-pair"]HZ He-200[/url] speakers, and it would appear that I've been volunteered to provide an amp and mixer to power them. :) Trouble is I know next to sod all about PA stuff, having successfully avoided anything to do with it all these years, so I'm after some advice from the Knowledgeable Ones on here. I haven't really got a clue as to what rating of power amp they would need to power these without damaging the speakers with distortion or clipping or whatever. They have backline sorted, so they will only be used for vocals (3 mics at the most) and their rehearsal room is like a small village hall sized place. Any advice or recommendations greatly appreciated
Cheers
Andy

Any small mixer/amp should be okay for what you need. I'd recommend Peavey - model XR684 or similar, which can be found s/h for around £150 to £200. Also Yamaha EMX range (512 etc) are good for the money, and sound fine too.
Your speakers will easily manage 200 watts per side, in fact the maxim with PA amps seems to be having more watts than speaker handling so you don't need to run the amp flat out therefore getting lots of headroom for a clean clear sound. Unless the amp is seriously wound up full for a long time you should be okay.
Good luck!