Why become a member? ×

Fretlessing

aj5string

[quote name='aj5string' post='81062' date='Oct 29 2007, 11:18 PM']That would be ideal, except i'm de-fretting a bass with a rosewood fingerboard, and would ideally like to see the fretlines - i'm guessing it'd be a bit dark?

Alex.[/quote]

Mahogany inlays in a Jacaranda (if you believe the catalogue) fretboard.

Admittedly I haven't given it a dose of Lemon Oil yet which will darken things down, but they're still quite visible close up.

Pete.

Whenever I've de-freted a bass I've filed the frets down, flush with the fingerboard.

This leaves you with nice thin silver lines. It looks really nice and you won't be altering the structural integrity of anything.

File at 45 degrees to the frets, changing sides frequently so that your cuts oppose each other. Make sure that the file is plaining at least two frets at any given time. This prevents the edges of the file from grabbing and gives you a nice even cut. Start with a relatively rough file and work your way down to low gauge wet and dry paper on a block. Finish with oil and give it some mwahhhhh!

You'll have no problems seeing the lines. Because they are silver they reflect stage lights.

Here's one I prepared earlier ...

Use your clothes iron to heat the frets a bit, and you can pull them out with a fine edge as a lever or use a fret puller, or nipper. Do one and look at how the tangs bite into the fingerboard and your common sense will tell you how the rest willl need to come out.

A veneer insert will always be cleaner to look at and will look like a line, a filled slot may look a little craggly depending on the type of frets used and how you pull them out. You may need a fret saw to deepen the slot a bit, as it makes it easier to deal with a bit more depth than the fret tang. Cut the veneers to the width or depth as close as you need so you can minimise excessive sanding on the fingerboard. An X Acto craft scalpel or an actual medical scalpel will work well with a steel rule on a cutting mat, the art & craft shops or the marquetry suppliers can sell hyou a craft scalpel. You can get 1 - 3mm veneer easily, and you may want to have bright/ dark contrast, or match the fingerboard if you don't need the lines to be seen. You can also use plastic strips. Either way if you do inserts, you may want to consider a colourless glue.

If you are after the fashionable gloss mirror finish on your fingerboard, google 'System Three", the product you want is Mirror Coat 2 part epoxy. It is available in the UK from boat building suppliers.

Edited by synaesthesia

[quote name='synaesthesia' post='81326' date='Oct 30 2007, 04:30 PM']If you are after the fashionable gloss mirror finish on your fingerboard, google 'System Three", the product you want is Mirror Coat 2 part epoxy. It is available in the UK from boat building suppliers.[/quote]

Do you know where i can get hold of that in the UK?

I've started the de-fret. Am taking my time, have done 5 frets so far, and its going ok!

Alex.