Why become a member? ×

OK, got my first DB, Stentor Elysia 3/4

Greydad

Hi Peeps,

So, just over a fortnight after I had this massive mid-life rush-of-blood-to-the-head thing about getting into double bass I now own one.

It's a Stentor Elysia, 3/4 size, about 3-4 years old, never gigged. Private sale in Bristol, nice chap, got the bass, case, bow, stand and a BP100 (yeah I know) for £1400. Took it round to Gregs place where he pressured me into buying his near-as-dammit-new Velvet Anima's for a ton (I got a free beer thrown in as well though) which he kindly put on for me and here she is:

First off, for newbies, get a teacher right at the start: Greg has been incredibly helpful guiding me through all this and I really look forward to lessons with him - thanks a lot Greg.

Secondly, I'd like to thank some super people on here who gave me lots of advice, Bassace and PedalB in particular - cheers guys.

Third, I'm thrilled - it's a lovely bass, OK it's Chinese made but with the Anima's on it feels and sounds great. Hearing and playing the difference between the Anima's and the original factory strings as Greg changed them was like night and day. So another note for newbies like me - the strings are *far far* more significant to the playability and feel of a DB than they are on an electric.

So I'm really happy and loving this, even though I can't play for toffee yet. The technique tips to stop you damaging yourself are crucial and what I'm working on now. I've also found I really need to build up my left hand strength, it's a different world on a DB :)

Anyway, thought I'd share this here, not sure if it should go in the Gear section but thought I'd say thanks to everyone here for all the help and information.

Cheers

Neil

Looks like a very very good start to me! Wish I'd been so well prepared.

The BP100 isn't that bad really, its just a bit trebly and can exaggerate finger noise when you play on your own. The "secret" is to use some form of preamp/buffer to make the iput impedance a better match than your typical bass guitar amp. Superglue can also work wonders..but its a bit high risk.

I wouldn't worry about amplifying your bass for a while anyway. Get to know it, work on your technique - a stronger acoustic sound will always be better when its time to plug in.

[quote name='TPJ' post='736939' date='Feb 6 2010, 08:46 AM']Nice! Welcome to the wonderful world of DB. There's no going back now :)

+1 on the lessons to get your technique sorted out to avoid injury.

Enjoy[/quote]

Thanks! I am! It's a very physical thing, Greg keeps subtly hinting about the spirituality of it all and I'm slowly starting to see what he means in terms of how you relate to it to get the sounds out. Lots of really small things make a lot of difference and you need to be able to feel as well as hear what you're doing.

[quote name='TheRev' post='737009' date='Feb 6 2010, 11:08 AM']I'd love to try a set of Velvet Aminas but I'm afraid I'd like them and be forever doomed to forking out £250 for a set of strings....[/quote]

Yes, a bit of an addiction I suspect but the difference is amazing. I was having a go a few minutes ago and I keep thinking wow these strings are just beautiful - a long way from the roundwounds on my electric basses :)

[quote name='BassBod' post='737025' date='Feb 6 2010, 11:25 AM']Looks like a very very good start to me! Wish I'd been so well prepared.

The BP100 isn't that bad really, its just a bit trebly and can exaggerate finger noise when you play on your own. The "secret" is to use some form of preamp/buffer to make the iput impedance a better match than your typical bass guitar amp. Superglue can also work wonders..but its a bit high risk.

I wouldn't worry about amplifying your bass for a while anyway. Get to know it, work on your technique - a stronger acoustic sound will always be better when its time to plug in.[/quote]

One of the advantages of getting older I guess is having a bit more dosh to indulge in things like this - well, a larger overdraft anyway, I'll be paying this off for a few months yet. What I have learnt from my years playing electric bass is that good instruments make all the difference to the enjoyment you get out of playing, they should make you want to play, so I try to buy occasionally over a longer period of time but get as much out of my budget as I can. I'm really pleased with the Elysia and everyone's positive comments about them here and on Talkbass made be confident about getting one.

I'm going to have a go with the BP100. I don't have a pre-amp but I do have a couple of nice little DI boxes I bought for my mixer/PA rig so I'm going to try one of those into the Ashdown with everything as flat as possible and go from there. I take your point about developing the acoustic sound (and strength) first but I can't help but tinker with all these new toys :) I'll let you know what I find.

Edited by Greydad

[quote name='BassBod' post='737025' date='Feb 6 2010, 11:25 AM']The BP100 isn't that bad really, its just a bit trebly and can exaggerate finger noise when you play on your own. The "secret" is to use some form of preamp/buffer to make the iput impedance a better match than your typical bass guitar amp. Superglue can also work wonders..but its a bit high risk.[/quote]
Err, I think I lost the plot here. I can't imagine superglue being effective for impedance matching, but then I can't see how it's applicable to finger noise either ?

This has just reminded me of an idea I had to try and cure overly trebly response, finger noise and too long sustain all in one (thinking of my EUB here) Will drop into the hardware shop later and let you know if the idea works.

oh ... lovely looking DB by the way.

Andy

Edited by BigBeatNut

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='737297' date='Feb 6 2010, 03:21 PM']Err, I think I lost the plot here. I can't imagine superglue being effective for impedance matching, but then I can't see how it's applicable to finger noise either ?[/quote]

I think the superglue pertains to gluing the piezos to the bridge instead of/ as well as using the clips. :)

[quote name='TPJ' post='737329' date='Feb 6 2010, 03:45 PM']I think the superglue pertains to gluing the piezos to the bridge instead of/ as well as using the clips. :)[/quote]

Well I just gave the BP100 a quick go.

Put the two sensor-thingies between the E-A and D-G string pairs respectively using the little felt-clip attachment wotsits (stop me if I'm being too technical here). No superglue. I took the lead to my DI box and into a little Aria bass practice amp I had kicking around. Turned the treble all the way down and the mids, left bass half way. The G didn't sound too bad, at least an approximation of the acoustic sound, but the A and E were really sensitive to finger noise - the lower down I went the more the bass seemed to disappear and I was left with finger noise and a sort of dull thud sound.

Just realised I didn't do anything with the spiral earth wire bit, this might keep some of the noise out, back in a tick...

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='737430' date='Feb 6 2010, 05:38 PM']That's a really pretty bass, nice one! I've got a guy coming over on Tuesday with a bass he thinks I might like, so I might be in the club next week too. Quite excited! :)[/quote]

Ta, I saw your thread about your similar predicament, hope the one from your acquaintance works out - look forward to pics :rolleyes:

Well, the ground wire thing didn't change the finger noise much (maybe a little) and the thuddiness is still the same. Unless there's some secret tricks to setting one of these up I don't know about I may have to consider alternatives.

The clips supplied with the BP100 do work, but the two piezo plates require a very flat surface to give a good strong sound. You may need to do a bit of "spot" sanding or fit the pickup to the back of the bridge, which is usually flat anyway. Its a question of shifting positions slightly until you get the best sound, then mark the exact locations and glue the buggers in place. But the glue is a once only option, so I wouldn't recommend it.

The earth wire makes no difference to the sound, its just to remove potential hum/buzz through a string earth (as on a bass guitar bridge). DI boxes can be very good buffers, as long as they are active. I would imagine the BP100 through a passive DI would be truly dreadful.

Also worth playing through the PA speakers? Some DBers use powered PA cabs as their amps these days.

[quote name='BassBod' post='737471' date='Feb 6 2010, 06:12 PM']The clips supplied with the BP100 do work, but the two piezo plates require a very flat surface to give a good strong sound. You may need to do a bit of "spot" sanding or fit the pickup to the back of the bridge, which is usually flat anyway. Its a question of shifting positions slightly until you get the best sound, then mark the exact locations and glue the buggers in place. But the glue is a once only option, so I wouldn't recommend it.

The earth wire makes no difference to the sound, its just to remove potential hum/buzz through a string earth (as on a bass guitar bridge). DI boxes can be very good buffers, as long as they are active. I would imagine the BP100 through a passive DI would be truly dreadful.

Also worth playing through the PA speakers? Some DBers use powered PA cabs as their amps these days.[/quote]

Thanks, good input. I've got them on the neck-side of the bridge, I wondered if I should try them on the back as well. I realise the earth is for electrical noise and stuff but I was hopeful it might make some other difference. The DI boxes I have are active and seem to work well in other areas. I do have a couple of really nice powered PA speakers which sound fantastic for vocals and particularly acoustic guitar and which I've used at gigs. I'll give those a go and see if their bass response is a bit better than the practice amp.

OK, result! (of sorts)

Put the pup-things on the bridge side of the neck in the same position and fed the DI output to an active PA speaker (it's a W-Audio PSR-12A 350W). Went in to the mic input.

The sound is much cleaner and the bass response is far better right down to the E. There's still finger noise but it's not as apparent as there is more DB signal coming through.

I doubt if the purists would approve and it's not Acoustic Image type quality but I reckon I could do small gigs with it. I had a bit of feedback starting when I turned the welly up but I have it sort of facing the Elysia in the living room which is a bit daft and not what you would do live.

Cool, I'm pleased, just jammed along to a few country/roots tracks with the stereo up and it seemed ok to me - it'll do until my finances have recovered and I can get something posh.

Thanks Bassbod! :)

[quote name='BigBeatNut' post='737297' date='Feb 6 2010, 03:21 PM']This has just reminded me of an idea I had to try and cure overly trebly response, finger noise and too long sustain all in one (thinking of my EUB here) Will drop into the hardware shop later and let you know if the idea works.[/quote]
See separate thread [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=76408"]HERE[/url]

Andy

Hi,
your bass looks good -hope the two of you will be happy together. Can't see any rosin on those nice new strings - are going to be using a bow ?
Using a bow for some practice will help with intonation, playing pizzicato all the time hides a multitude of sins !
cheers

[quote name='PedalB' post='737739' date='Feb 6 2010, 11:34 PM']Hi,
your bass looks good -hope the two of you will be happy together. Can't see any rosin on those nice new strings - are going to be using a bow ?
Using a bow for some practice will help with intonation, playing pizzicato all the time hides a multitude of sins !
cheers[/quote]

Hi PB! :)

Actually, there is a bit of rosin on them now, more so since this evening - I have been having a go with the bow (I have two now, one of them carbon fibre) but I'm awful at it. I can get an amazing sound out of the open strings but I fall apart when I try and get the two hands to work together. This is completely new territory for me and it's going to take quite a while to learn to bow with aplomb.

Hopefully I'll get there eventually :rolleyes: