Why become a member? ×

the squier vintage modified marcus miller jazz bass

marcus bell

this is my idea, i know it sounds crazy and will cost as much as a marcus miller jazz bass but its the fun that counts haha!

ive just bought a jazz bass vintage modified and think its great, but i love the look and sound of marcus millers jazz, so i thought rather than buying one i could modify this one to prettu much his spec quite easily... with a bit of help from you guys! :)
this is the steps im going to take:
[list=1]
[*]buy the control plate and battery cover and screw them onto the bass
[*]then buy the neck pickup cover and screw that to the body aswell
[*]then get a badass 2 bridge with plain saddles and file them to the correct string spacing and action level
[*]then get someone to route under the control plate, and add a two band eq system with a passive/active switch, i dont know if anyone on here is capable of that, but it would be great if someone is :rolleyes:
[/list]

so let me know any thoughts and feelings, and if anyone could help me with the routing stage and also with the wiring of the two band eq and passive/active switch then i would massively appreciate it (and youd also get paid obviously haha)...
also any ideas on the two band eq (e.g. make and model would be great).

thanks a lot

marcus

I have had this thought also.
2 years later, I've still only done number "3". It's where I started.

That, and the (not exactly obvious) DR Miller Fatbeams. They're the REAL secret. The Strings. And Marcus' hands! DO consider that the VMJ's body is Maple, and not Ash, as per the the '77 (?) Jazz he uses.
Even as it is, it's pretty damn good!
Personally, my next move will be some s**t hot pick-ups (Wizards?) and a stacked control plate with a volume and a tone per pick-up.

That Fender EQ is not the best, and there's no tone control available in passive mode (which is a BIG minus IMO)

Have fun, but don't spend more than it's worth!

thanks for the help so far guys,
im going to buy the badass 2 bridge, and the control plate and battery cover for my bass for my birthday which is the end of the month,

any recommendations for a 2 band eq? that would be bass and treble one on each pot? i was thinking maybe aquilar or something similar?

x

[quote name='marcus bell' post='738343' date='Feb 7 2010, 09:05 PM']thanks for the help so far guys,
im going to buy the badass 2 bridge, and the control plate and battery cover for my bass for my birthday which is the end of the month,

any recommendations for a 2 band eq? that would be bass and treble one on each pot? i was thinking maybe aquilar or something similar?

x[/quote]

Why not buy the East Marcus Retro preamp?

[url="http://www.east-uk.com/"]East preamps[/url]