Why become a member? ×

Steinberger XL-5W 5 string on the Steiny forum

OldGit

Spotted on the Steingberger forum. It's not me nor do I know the guy.
I'm assuming the email address will get you in touch.
£6k+ mind ...

[url="http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/steinberger_world/message/41272"]http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/stein...d/message/41272[/url]

Steingberger XL-5W ('wide 5') Bass For Sale, London UK
Posted by: "Low" [email protected] lowregisterhead
Sun Jan 31, 2010 6:32 am (PST)

Hi all, and greetings from London.

Offered for sale is my Steinberger XL-5W ('wide 5') bass. As most of you will know, these are incredibly rare, as they only made about 50 of them. There are some 5-string versions of the X-2 and XL-2 out there, which were basically standard width 4-string necks with head and bridge conversions to somehow cram the 5th string on, resulting in a very narrow string spacing, but the XL-5W was built as a 5-string, and therefore has a very comfortable 17mm spacing.

The previous owner rescued it from a shop in the States, and had work done at Peekamoose in New York to make it beautifully playable. Cosmetically, it's in good condition, but not immaculate, and as such could be said to be primarily a player's instrument, although still extremely collectable.

Included in the sale is a second unused Steinberger bridge, the original pickups and circuitry (a more recent EMG preamp and pickups are currently fitted), brass and aluminium string adapters for non-double ball end strings, a fitted flight case, a Ritter gig bag, and the original pivoting strap plate. It currently has an adapted NS Steinberger Boomerang strap system fitted, but this can be removed with an allen key, and the original plate refitted in seconds.

Additional info and detailed pictures available on request to genuinely interested parties. Offers invited in excess of 6,000UKP.

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='732214' date='Feb 1 2010, 09:03 PM']there is one the same but fretless at www.hendrixguitars.com (near Genoa, Italy) on hold at only 2.500 Euros whatever that is in old money.

BB[/quote]

Bit less than £6k, I think ...

[quote name='lowregisterhead' post='732494' date='Feb 2 2010, 06:15 AM']...and very nice it is, too. But it is fretless, and it is in Italy... perhaps 6K is a little speculative - make me an offer! :)[/quote]

I love Steinys, I have had three of them but the taxman took 'em!

too many strings on this one for me :rolleyes:

Cheers BB

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='732214' date='Feb 1 2010, 09:03 PM']there is one the same but fretless at www.hendrixguitars.com (near Genoa, Italy) on hold at only 2.500 Euros whatever that is in old money.

BB[/quote]

He also has an XL-2 on at the same money, so I think he may not know just how rare the XL-5W is. I'M tempted at that price! :-)