Why become a member? ×

Probass jazz on ebay

numptydumpty

[quote name='numptydumpty' post='730915' date='Jan 31 2010, 06:27 PM']Seriously tempted by Probass jazz bass on the bay.Have read that these are in fact SX items.Can anyone confirm or deny this?[/quote]

I'd leave that alone, mate. Look at the bridge: it's too far forward. It either won't intonate correctly or the neck, too is shorter. Seen these before.

I was just looking at that a moment ago. The headstock shape looks just like the Johnny Brooke basses that are a bit cheaper, though the one I saw had block inlays rather than dots. I've got a JB (courtesy of Gafbass on here) and it's good for a cheap bass. Issues with mine are the usual low quality pots (standard on everything sub £300-£400) and could do with a fret level, but that's nothing to moan about at this price point.

[quote name='numptydumpty' post='731037' date='Jan 31 2010, 08:26 PM']BC member rapscallion apparently has one and is most impressed.I cant believe there is something fundamentally wrong with the bridge position so maybe it is a short scale?[/quote]
I think it looks more like the body's an odd shape / oversized - it looks like there's a couple of inches of extra wood at the back & the end of the body is less elliptical than a proper J. The bridge & control plate look in the right places relative to one another.

Jon.

[quote name='Bassassin' post='731077' date='Jan 31 2010, 08:58 PM']I think it looks more like the body's an odd shape / oversized - it looks like there's a couple of inches of extra wood at the back & the end of the body is less elliptical than a proper J. The bridge & control plate look in the right places relative to one another.

Jon.[/quote]

Yeah the distances between the neck, pickups and bridge look right, look how much wood is behind the control plate compared to a normal jazz

I think the all black one looks sweet

The body is indeed an odd/oversized shape, i measured mine up to my Warwick and its fine, 34 scale. They're nice basses for £99, mine came up well setup and sounds great, quite piano-like :/. The series/parallel is a nice touch too. its not general fender-a-like parts though, I tried to put some Wizard Hammers in it and it doesnt quite measure up properly.

Still, any questions just ask

[quote name='Stacker' post='730945' date='Jan 31 2010, 06:46 PM']I'd leave that alone, mate. Look at the bridge: it's too far forward. It either won't intonate correctly or the neck, too is shorter. Seen these before.[/quote]

You forget that the position of the bridge is ultimately changeable, even though it is 34 inch scale

[quote name='rapscallion' post='732439' date='Feb 2 2010, 12:30 AM']You forget that the position of the bridge is ultimately changeable, even though it is 34 inch scale[/quote]

Yeh, I know that.

I think my point should have been 'it doesn't follow Jazz bass specs', which would be criteria for to consider. It's a person thing, obviously. I didn't mean to rain on anyone's parade.

[quote name='numptydumpty' post='733187' date='Feb 2 2010, 05:16 PM']As far as upgradability is concerned,the neck/pocket dimensions are the most tricky to change.Are we talking close to genuine sizes,ie would squier/mightymite neck fit?[/quote]

I'd go for a squier if thats your plan mate. I've tried to black out this bass but its not with fender copied parts, so its a bit tricky.

[quote name='Stacker' post='732531' date='Feb 2 2010, 08:27 AM']Yeh, I know that.

I think my point should have been 'it doesn't follow Jazz bass specs', which would be criteria for to consider. It's a person thing, obviously. I didn't mean to rain on anyone's parade.[/quote]

I would have prefered it if the seller had made a point of this too, as i only realised the 'problem' once I'd looked in a thread similar to this and someone pointed it out. But oh well :)