Why become a member? ×

Adding a neck jazz PUP to a Precision?

Beedster

Hi all
I'm currently putting together a couple of project Precisions. One has a P/J config (J at the bridge) and, especially as I'm getting into playing over the neck at the moment, I'm termpted to install a JPUP at the neck, simply to see how it sounds. I've got a spare SD neck PUP sitting around, and the body is a cheap copy so I'm not too worried about loss of value. Any experience, observations, comments or tips would be most welcome.
Chris

Hi all
Many thanks, helpful and reassuring stuff. Yes, I'm certainly thinking of placing a PUP at the very end of the neck as opposed to anywhere near the PPUP (I've always thought the 3 PUPs on the Urge Bass, being so close together, must to a certain extent pick up very similar vibrations and thus limit the tonal range of the instrument. I've also read that PUPs too close together can interact with each other also).
Having looked around at various basses, I was wondering about putting a larger PUP, for example a Tele Bass-style humbucker, at the neck? I think it would look pretty crap aeshetically, but might provide far more tonal range, especially for those earth-shaking dub vibes?
The great thing about installing a PUP at the neck on a Precision is of course that it can be removed if it doesn't work out :)
Cheers
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='81229' date='Oct 30 2007, 01:06 PM']I was wondering about putting a larger PUP, for example a Tele Bass-style humbucker, at the neck? I think it would look pretty crap aeshetically, but might provide far more tonal range, especially for those earth-shaking dub vibes?[/quote]

Isn't that pretty much the Pickup arrangment on the Yamaha Billy Sheehan model (can't remember the proper model name)? I think it would be ideal for bluesy, thuddy trad rock - a Thunderbird type PUP would be ideal and would suit the whole P bass vibe well.