Why become a member? ×

Fodera basses

peteb

[quote name='mcgraham' post='731506' date='Feb 1 2010, 11:49 AM']Very true about the 'cost is all relative comment'. For example, when a BC'er posted a comment in another thread with the (effective) message 'you've got nothing to moan about compared to those in Haiti', it struck me that you can cast almost any comment in a selfish light relative to something else. The MIM fender being a good example.[/quote]

I like to call those "Big hammer, small nut" arguments. The favourite example is "well at least you're not a Jew in Nazi Germany". People make them all the time, and it should be against the law. They should have to play a verse of Mustang Sally as punishment.

I've owned four Fodera's, all from new two from dealers in the US and two from Fodera directly. I have mixed opinions on the basses especially the price and waiting period argument, with custom orders as high as fifteen thousand dollars these days you have to be seriously hooked on one to validate that type of money. Also dealing with them as a company can be extremely frustrating PM me if anyone would like greater detail on this. My Emperor pictured below was built as a replacment to a Ying Yang Monarch that was returned to Fodera with a neck issue, and in fairness they built a stunning bass in it's place. It's also featured on their website on the Emperor page. Nice basses.

[attachment=41612:Fodera_Emperor.jpg]
[attachment=41613:Fodera_Imperial.jpg]

Edited by BossHog

[quote name='bilbo230763' post='731432' date='Feb 1 2010, 10:32 AM']Is it just me? Is it my age but I grew up in a world where you lived within your means and made do with what you could afford.

I love the look of these basses and would love to own an Anthony Jackson model six-string but, despite earning a very good salary and living a fairly unostentatious lifestyle, I just can't justify the expense. Like others, I could sell my Gibson ES175, Ovation Adamus, Takamine CD132SC and Status Energy 5 - but, if I did, I still wouldn't have enough to get a Fodera unless I sold the Wal as well. To be blunt, its not worth it. I don't care how great they sound (and they do), as a mere mortal, I can't justify that level of sacrifice and expenditure for a bass. WIth absolute respect to some of you guys, I don't know where any of you get the money for these basses!

I did a latin gig last night with the Wal/Eden Metro and it sounded marvellous. I can live with denying myself the Fodera. And, as I always say, its the music that matters not the gear. :)[/quote]
I do agree with you - I'm fortunate to have two very nice basses that sound great and I couldn't justify spending over £4K on a Fodera

However, that doesn't alter the fact that I blown away at how good a bass the Fodera was when I had previously dismissed them as being massively overpriced!

Edited by peteb

Just a quicky on this as I think all the salient points have been covered - but I will add the price tag in no way 100% guarantees that the bass will be 'your perfect bass' - but the flip side of that is that some people will feel that price alone makes them special... I'm super happy with my Sei basses but I think the fact I had at least two years of planning and then even further discussions with Martin essentially helped create the basses I wanted with no unforseen prolems or dissapointment... I don't know if 'remote' ordering a Fodera would ensure such a thing - and the cost and the waiting time definitely puts me off...

However...

I have played some wonderful Foderas and some average ones - just like most other basses I have tried - but then the good ones were easily matched for tone, playability and looks by various other boutique names like Marleaux, F Bass, Sei and the occasional mind blowing vintage Fender!

If I encountered a used one that was just amazing to play and it was for sale at a 'reasonable' price I would consider buying it - but going through the pain of ordering one and the full cost, I don't think I could do that - as Bilbo said - life's too short and there's too much music to be played...

I will also add that Vinnie and Joey are two of the nicest guys on the planet (I was lucky enough to go to the Fodera workshop in 2007 - meet them and interview Vinnie) and do an extremely good job of managing the ridiculous amount of hype and pressure that the Fodera name seems to induce - they got lucky and the know it - but don't hold that against them - it's just how it worked out for them - I wish them all the best and I hope they keep making great basses for many years to come.

Cheers

Mike