Why become a member? ×

Re-soldering pickup fly-leads

karlthebassist

I just brought a set of Jazz pups off here and one of the leads has broken off right at the bobbin where it attatches to one of the ends of the coil winding. Probably from me handling them today while measuring tthem and trying them in holes I routed for them in a new bass.

I was just about to re-solder it back on, but then I thought I'd best check on here to make sure there is nothing I should be careful about when doing it... like melting colis or somthing. i dunno :)

Chaz

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' post='729125' date='Jan 29 2010, 07:51 PM']I've repaired several pickups where the leads have come off, and even re-wired humbuckers for split coil use. There's no problem at all, provided you're not pushing the iron's tip into the coils in any way.[/quote]

Awesome. Thanks very much. I was just wondering if maybe the heat could affect the coating on the windings. But then again, I guess they had to solder it in the first place!

Cheers
Karl

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' post='729125' date='Jan 29 2010, 07:51 PM']I've repaired several pickups where the leads have come off, and even re-wired humbuckers for split coil use. There's no problem at all, provided you're not pushing the iron's tip into the coils in any way.[/quote]

be as fast as you can to avoid the heat going further into the bobbin

i had to do this on a rickenbacker neck pup..not the toaster...and i went very slow and low powered...its just a dab you need

if you want to avoid heat there are electrically conductive glues you can get...

[url="http://www.smallbattery.company.org.uk/sbc_wire-glue.htm"]E GLUE[/url]

[quote name='mrcrow' post='730823' date='Jan 31 2010, 05:26 PM']be as fast as you can to avoid the heat going further into the bobbin[/quote]
I second that. The wire used on pickup coils is so fine that a soldering iron will melt it like a fusewire if it's held on for long.

[quote name='stevie' post='731020' date='Jan 31 2010, 08:14 PM']I second that. The wire used on pickup coils is so fine that a soldering iron will melt it like a fusewire if it's held on for long.[/quote]

I'm sorry, but that's not true with a normal soldering iron. The wire used on pickup coils is copper, and it won't melt at normal soldering temperatures. The only thing you might do is burn off the lacquer coating if you heat it for a prolonged period (more than the couple of seconds necessary to make a joint).

[quote name='Ancient Mariner' post='731057' date='Jan 31 2010, 08:42 PM']I'm sorry, but that's not true with a normal soldering iron. The wire used on pickup coils is copper, and it won't melt at normal soldering temperatures. The only thing you might do is burn off the lacquer coating if you heat it for a prolonged period (more than the couple of seconds necessary to make a joint).[/quote]

I can see why you would say that, Ancient Mariner. Maybe the copper is burning rather than melting, in the same way that iron filings burn at quite a low temperature. Something to do with their surface area to volume ratio. The burning insulation could even help the process along. I really don't know. But I observed it happening some time ago and have always been careful whenever I've worked with pickup wires since. I do know that pickup wire is extremely fine and it wouldn't surprise me if a soldering iron could pump enough energy into the wire to push it to ignition temperature, if only briefly.

Still, my advice was based on no more than an observation. I'd go into the workshop and check exactly what happens but that would mean wrecking a perfectly good pickup.