Why become a member? ×

Quick MarkBass Power Question

Hot Tub

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='725609' date='Jan 26 2010, 07:19 PM']Is my CMD103H gonna be "big" enough for a small pub? It'll be up against one electric guitar, one acoustic guitar, drums, and a singer. The band isn't "deafening" loud, but you have to shout a bit to hold a conversation.

Subjective I know, but what do you think?

:)[/quote]
yea - it will be fine

I've got one and it's louder than you would imagine - seems to have just as much volune as my mesa mpulse & two 4x10s

I use an LM3 with a Barefaced Compact in both my current bands. Both have two guitarists and quite a heavy hitting drummer and we play an assortment of different sized pubs and clubs and I never even get close to limits of this set up.

I also used one of the first generation Markbass Traveler 104s with an LM1 in a classic rock band with keyboards and a loud guitarist and again it was more than adequate. It was window rattlingly loud.

I can't see you having any problems. Obviously neither of these rigs are quite the same but both are in the same ballpark. I think we tend to overestimate the amount of power we need.

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='725609' date='Jan 26 2010, 07:19 PM']Is my CMD103H gonna be "big" enough for a small pub? It'll be up against one electric guitar, one acoustic guitar, drums, and a singer. The band isn't "deafening" loud, but you have to shout a bit to hold a conversation.

Subjective I know, but what do you think?[/quote]
I’ve got the CMP102P and I haven’t had any problems with any pub gigs, even the larger rooms. I have an extension cabinet but rarely us it. I think your combo is rated at 400W as it stands - so no worries there.

JDH

[quote name='Hot Tub' post='725724' date='Jan 26 2010, 08:51 PM']is it correct to set the gain to just before clipping and turn the volume up as required? Is anything gonna get damaged by using "full throttle"?[/quote]

That's what I do. Turn the gain up so it's just clipping then back it off a tad. Always seems to work for me

[quote name='AndyMartin' post='725680' date='Jan 26 2010, 08:25 PM']I think we tend to overestimate the amount of power we need.[/quote]

There's definitely some of that going on... I've played pub gigs with 100W amps before... I've played with drummers (using brushes) easy with 50W amps.

The difference is though - I have to EQ an amp like that to get it to sound loud enough. But with a big rig, I EQ to get the tone I want then turn it up until it's loud enough.

I'm sure I could play a big pub with a 400W amp. It might not sound [i]exactly[/i] like I'd want it to, but it would certainly be loud enough.

Edited by bigjohn