Why become a member? ×

Ampeg BA-112 Vs Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II

erisu

So I just sold my massive Marshall combo and looking to get a smaller combo.

In one corner I have an Ampeg BA-112 which I can get for under £200 but it's only 50 watts but I've heard the Ampeg sound is to die for!

In the other corner I have an Ashdown EB 12-180 EVO II which I can get for about £220 and it's a massive 180 watts (if I add an external cab as well but 130-ish on it's own?)

In terms of tone/sound wise and construction, which one is the better out of the two? I've read quite equal reviews and they both seem equally as good as each other.

I'll only be using the amp for bedroom practice with no carpets (I have floorboards) and my room is quite spacious too. I will also might think about DI'ing the amp to record as well so transporting is some what important to get into my car.

Might run down to Denmark Street during my lunch break this week to see if any shops has the amp but first I want to get your opinions :)

If it's only for bedroom use why do you need the extra power of the Ashdown? If at some point you're going to be playing with a drummer and guitarist though, then the Ampeg will be seriously underpowered.

I would also advise against buying anything in Denmark Street. It's expensive and the staff will treat you with contempt.

If you're after an Ampeg that fits in at home and is capable of the drummer thing... keep and eye out for a B100R.

The B series Rocket combos are much better than the BAs.

there's one on ebay at the moment... although I reckon that's a little (only a little) over priced for what is probably a chinese version...

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AMPEG-B100R-ROCKETBASS-COMBO_W0QQitemZ220544366806QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_MusicalInstr_Amplifiers_RL?hash=item335977f8d6"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/AMPEG-B100R-ROCKETBA...=item335977f8d6[/url]

Edited by bigjohn