Why become a member? ×

Converting a PJ to a P

Alfie

I have a real lust for a surf green precision bass, but they are like hens' teeth. The only real options for getting one for less than a grand are to make one myself (Warmoth) or to refinish my Squier. If I was to refinish the Squier I would like to use the opportunity to convert it from a PJ config to a standard precison bass, I really don't like the sound or the look of the J pickup.

My question is, what is the best way to fill-in the J pickup cavity before refinishing?

[quote name='Alfie' post='722604' date='Jan 23 2010, 10:12 PM']I have a real lust for a surf green precision bass, but they are like hens' teeth. The only real options for getting one for less than a grand are to make one myself (Warmoth) or to refinish my Squier. If I was to refinish the Squier I would like to use the opportunity to convert it from a PJ config to a standard precison bass, I really don't like the sound or the look of the J pickup.

My question is, what is the best way to fill-in the J pickup cavity before refinishing?[/quote]
The best way is to shape a piece of similar wood (alder, lime or suchlike), to plug into the old pickup hole. If you take your time and get it to fit well, you won't need much in the way of filler to get it smooth.

Hi Alfie,

If you look down [url="http://www.bravewoodguitars.co.uk/restoration.html"]THIS WEB PAGE[/url] a little you can see how the J pickup hole has been made rectangular in shape to help male the Alder 'plug' easier to make and fit.

Any help?

Cheers,
Jon