Why become a member? ×

DR Sunbeams...or are they?

niceguyhomer

I'm a big fan of DR Sunbeams and they're always my first choice string. When I can't get them I buy EB Slinkys which I like just as much but they don't last as long. Anyway, my Shuker's had a set of EBs on for a coupla months and with a big gig tomorrow night, I thought I'd stick some new Sunbeams on.

I put them on last night and played them for about a minute and I thought..."these aren't Sunbeams, they're too rough". I'd bet my middle 'nad that they're Lo-Riders which are a lot rougher / tighter. They sound different too.

They were in a sealed pack and brand new - made me wonder if anyone else has experienced this.

Lo-Riders also have a slightly hotter output than Sunbeams. I purchased a number of sets of Lo-Riders and Hi-Beams at the end of last year and, although I didn't experience getting the wrong set in the wrong packaging, one of the sets of Lo-Riders sounded dull and didn't sustain, as I'd expect. Checking the manufacture date this was in the same window as all the other sets, and I put the issue down to manufacturing/quality control.

I also :wub: DR Sunbeams. I have DR's on 3 of my basses - Hi-Beams, Fatbeams and Sunbeams and I'm sure that when I look at them side by side the Sunbeams aren't quite as shiny as the others because of the nickel content? Can you A/B a set on their colour?

edit: - I also think they have a slight hue to them, like an old sixpence :) - I know you remember them!