Why become a member? ×

Walking bass ! jazz

jamieariss

If you're a new cat into walking bass, it's ESSENTIAL to get a copy of Ed Friedland's - Building Walking Basslines.

Clear, informative, demanding, interesting. Starts at very basic things, and then dips into messy ones.

It's made from printed (pdf) version + audio [recorded audio track for each exercise].

been working on this for over a half-year myself.. Works for me. Great stuff.

Hey, and don't forget to try each line in the book in at least 6 keys (F, Bb, Eb, Ab, C, G - most common keys in jazz!)

If you're having trouble finding this book, give me PM, we'll sort something..

Good luck with this,
Faith.

Edited by Faithless

[quote name='Faithless' post='720602' date='Jan 21 2010, 10:16 PM']If you're a new cat into walking bass, it's ESSENTIAL to get a copy of Ed Friedland's - Building Walking Basslines.

Clear, informative, demanding, interesting. Starts at very basic things, and then dips into messy ones.

It's made from printed (pdf) version + audio [recorded audio track for each exercise].

Hey, and don't forget to try each line in the book in at least 6 keys (F, Bb, Eb, Ab, C, G - most common keys in jazz!)

Good luck with this,
Faith.[/quote]

Jamie! I've got that book somewhere m8 - will try and dig it out for our next session!

Cheers

Nick

[quote name='jamieariss' post='720520' date='Jan 21 2010, 08:47 PM']Im trying to work on my walking bass in a jazz style but trying to transcribe of the old records are allmost imposible ha..

I wanted to ask any fellow bassist who know any tracks or artists who have modern recordings where the bass is clear in a traditional jazz genre?

cheers jamie :)[/quote]
Really really really persevere with old records. Get any Oscar Peterson with Ray Brown, any Miles Davis with Paul Chambers, you must steep your ears in it. Get books once you've got a bit of it. It is so much about the lines and how they sound and feel. and that needs to be heard every bit as much as read....
Listen listen and listen again.

[quote name='jakesbass' post='720683' date='Jan 21 2010, 11:40 PM']Really really really persevere with old records. Get any Oscar Peterson with Ray Brown, any Miles Davis with Paul Chambers, you must steep your ears in it. Get books once you've got a bit of it. It is so much about the lines and how they sound and feel. and that needs to be heard every bit as much as read....
Listen listen and listen again.[/quote]

I'd agree with all of that. Just to put in a bit of 'added value' could I just share my early experiences. In the early sixties we got hold hold of the new My Fair Lady LP by drummer Shelley Manne with Andre Previn taking piano lead. It's not exactly cutting edge jazz but has Leroy Vinegar on bass. You just won't find a better walking bass anywhere. It's on Spotify; listen to it - I did and I never had difficulty walking after hearing the LP.

[quote name='Faithless' post='720602' date='Jan 21 2010, 10:16 PM']If you're a new cat into walking bass, it's ESSENTIAL to get a copy of Ed Friedland's - Building Walking Basslines.

Good luck with this,
Faith.[/quote]

I'd also recommend Dave Marks' walking bass lessons which are available from his website. I found that once I'd got my head round the basic walking bass theory, it was much easier to hear the bass parts on recordings.

Dave

[quote name='Faithless' post='721127' date='Jan 22 2010, 01:12 PM']Yep, no problem with that, but, as I've mentioned before, Friedland's book covers the very basics, and, you can use audio samples for playing over and over again, till you get it.. More helpful, I'd say, than Youtube stuff..[/quote]

It's not just youtube - he has .pdf files for all his lessons. I'm not suggesting that it's superior to Ed Friedland's book but it's prety good for a free download. Just sayin'