Why become a member? ×

Squier Jazz Varnish help

dazza14

Hi, i recently bought a second hand Squier Modified Jazz Bass (the natural finish with maple neck one) and it has badly worn varnish beneath the scratch-plate just below the G string.
Before you tell me to replace the scratch-plate i can't, i play slap and pop and find it a bit of a squeeze to get my chunky fingers beneath the strings with a scratch-plate in place.
I would like to sand the body down and get it revarnished.
Any advice on what grade of sand paper to use to sand the body down so i can get the varnish re-applied in one even coat?
To be honest any tips on this subject would be greatfully recieved.
Do i use a sander?
Sand block?
Any tips welcomed.

Should be in repairs and technical.

First all, it's a Polyurethane finish. Second of all, there's quite a bit about sanding should you want to do a search on this forum. I'm not going to repeat what has been said in this post because there's far too much information to convey from people who are much more experienced than I am.

Suffice to say, Poly is simplistic to remove but takes a lot of time. Electric hand sander will work fine until such time when you go to awkward bits and finishing, when you'll need to do it by hand, take your time, start with low grit such as 40 or 80, then progressively move up towards 1000 or 1500 when you've removed the poly and are just finishing the body to make it super smooth.

As for getting it refinished. Either a car body shop or a luthier will be able to do it properly for a flawless coat. Finishing by hand is possible with laquer, takes a long time of applying, drying, sanding down and even, reapplying, waiting, sanding down again, etc..... until you need to buff the finish into a high shine.

[b]Seriously though, go do a search, and considering you've just joined today, go post an introduction thread in the introductions section of the forum.[/b]

Edited by Buzz

Hi Dazza14 and welcome

Just to help, some useful search keywords in the repairs and technical issues subforum - [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showforum=12"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showforum=12[/url] - might include:

re-finish / refinish / respray / poly / polyester / polyurethane / nitro / nitrocellulose / sanding / wire wool

If necessary, use advanced search to restrict your query to thread titles only.

Hope you enjoy the forum