Why become a member? ×

Lifting and shifting

2wheeler

I remember helping a friend of my dad's move house. One of the other helpers was a professional removal man and he used a loop strap around his shoulders and heavy stuff to move it. He seemed to be able to shift really big stuff quickly and very carefully. Is this a standard removals trick? Is there any reason why nobody seems to do this with heavy cabs and combos?

I currently just have a small, portable practice amp and want to get a feel for what I should be able to shift without breaking my ever less limber body.

I have had a look in the wiki but there doens' t seem to be anything about safe lifting - tips and tricks...

Thanks in advance.

I would imagine it would put way too much pressure on one or two points on your body, around the vulnerable shoulder/neck area, rather than spreading it. I have a double bass (not nearly as heavy as a 4x10) which I use a single shoulder strap for out of necessity- it really does get painful quite quickly, and I wouldn't want to be doing it with anything much heavier.

Just remember to use your knees and you'll be fine :)

I've seen professional removals people using a strap as described, but not for lifting stuff on their own. I've only seen them use straps to help lift one end of large items such fridge-freezers or wardrobes. I've always assumed it helped them to lift their end of the item without having to bend their back too far.

I've recently got 1x15 and 2x10 cabs, which I thought would be fairly manageable. I can carry one in each hand reasonably easily because it feels balanced, but carrying one, even with two hands, feels more awkward. Plus, the biggest problem, I find, is manouvreing through doorways and the like - it always seems to involve holding a cab away from my body, which puts strain on my back.

Perhaps a 4x10 or even 8x10 cab would be easier in practice because I would always need someone to help me rather than struggling alone.

I guess a roadie is the only answer (fat chance!).

I have a remover's strap thing but it's not good for bass gear. It's really good for wardrobes and beds and things that don't have easy hand holds and handles.

There's plenty of light gear around.

In the olden days, when all this were fields, we had no choice but to use hefty gear and work around it. Many of us damaged our backs as keen young bucks showing off by lifting our 4x15 Marshall cabs onto one shoulder to walk home through the snow....

These days you can get good stuff that weighs a lot less or even very, very much less (Barefaced!) and it's been around long enough to come up second hand.

If, however, your image dictates you to use big ol' heavy stuff then get a folding trolley like this one: [url="http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=97489"]£35 from Maplins[/url] and often in the sale there for less.

Use your legs and not your back, avoid twisting whilst lifting and always get a hand lifting the stuff if you can.

[url="http://www.ehow.com/how_2100263_lift-heavy-objects-safely.html"]How to lift stuff safely[/url]

Edited by OldGit