Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Custom inlays

xTKsaucex

This is going to sound very noobish, only because in all 6 years of guitaring ive never bothered to ask this question. Ive been checking out inlays on Warwick website, and they are mighty fine, but for £700 for say a dragon and £250 odd for a tiger its a steep price to pay for something your mostly not going to be looking at. Wondering if theres a cheaper economical way of creating inlays, im thinking, a pencil and a tip-ex ayeeeeeee :) , but seriously, any like custom painting that could do the trick and not look tacky or is the price for aesthetic beauty going to be steep?

[quote name='xTKsaucex' post='718014' date='Jan 19 2010, 04:27 PM']This is going to sound very noobish, only because in all 6 years of guitaring ive never bothered to ask this question. Ive been checking out inlays on Warwick website, and they are mighty fine, but for £700 for say a dragon and £250 odd for a tiger its a steep price to pay for something your mostly not going to be looking at. Wondering if theres a cheaper economical way of creating inlays, im thinking, a pencil and a tip-ex ayeeeeeee :) , but seriously, any like custom painting that could do the trick and not look tacky or is the price for aesthetic beauty going to be steep?[/quote]

Water decal transfers. You will have to still have them coated in polyester to protect them against the strings though. A pro doing the job should come way under that figure. Its also worth nothing that the decal should be applied to a sealed neck before sealing with the top layer of poly.

You can't beat the real deal though.

[quote name='gilmour' post='718231' date='Jan 19 2010, 06:50 PM']Would transfers/stickers work?

I'm not sure they'd adhere to the fingerboard if the board is oiled? If they would then that's cool.[/quote]

"the decal should be applied to a sealed neck before sealing with the top layer of poly."

i.e. the decal is applied to a polyestered neck.

The tricky bit is buffing the gloss down (so you get a matt finish) without going through the poly and taking the transfer.

You could always try and do the inlay yourself.

I suppose if your good with hand tools and have the skill and patience (I have patience but absolutely no skill) why not have a go. There's a few books on the subject about. The actual materials aren't that expensive.