Why become a member? ×

Speed Demon

Hi Guys,

I had an argument/discussion with one of the lads, a piano player and he was convinced that the bass on Michael Jackson's
Speed Demon (Bad album) was live and I thought otherwise cause it sounded more synth to me especially on the chorus.

Can someone with a higher audio perception please clarify.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOWkBI8a23A"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOWkBI8a23A[/url]

[quote name='Doddy' post='717861' date='Jan 19 2010, 02:14 PM']It's synth all the way.
There is no bass player listen on the credits to that track but there are 3 synth players,
including Greg Phillinganes who is one of (the?)the best synth bass players around.[/quote]

Thanks Doddy, I thought so too and Greg is one of the best synth players around along with Michael Boddicker.

Haha, I had this argument with a friend years ago. He was convinced it was live bass.

It definitely isn't though.

I even got a book out of the library that had the part notated. Now I know my sight reading isn't amazing, but I couldn't even play it at half speed. I'd like to try and learn it properly though. If it's actually physically possible!

[quote name='funkygreega' post='717935' date='Jan 19 2010, 03:15 PM']Thanks Doddy, I thought so too and Greg is one of the best synth players around along with Michael Boddicker.[/quote]

Michael Boddiker is one of the other players on the track,along with John Barnes.