Why become a member? ×

a few newbie questions?

jhk

As a newbie would someone indulge my probably idiotic questions.

What is the significance of a `bump` message?
How do I put basic gear list in the message box like others?
What does PM stand for?(not gordon brown!)
When does `newbie` become `regular`contributor?
Help an older bassplayer become less confused!

regards

jhk

[quote name='jhk' post='79070' date='Oct 24 2007, 08:16 PM']As a newbie would someone indulge my probably idiotic questions.

regards

jhk[/quote]

1. If you go on View New Posts, the most recent posts are shown at the top - after not being posted on for a while, a topic will move down the list and eventually no-one will notice it, so the purpose of bumping is just to move a topic back to the top
2. If you go on "My Controls" and then "Edit Signature" you can type it all in there
3. Private message!
4. Just keep posting!

Have some fun!

[quote name='jhk' post='79070' date='Oct 24 2007, 08:16 PM']As a newbie would someone indulge my probably idiotic questions.

regards

jhk[/quote]
1 Bump just bumps the message up to the top to stop it getting lost down the list, usually used in for sales.

2 Don't know!
3 Personal message
4 after several posts (I don't think off topic posts count
Hope that helps a bit

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='79084' date='Oct 24 2007, 08:37 PM']Ahaha thank you - do off topic posts really not count? :) How strange...[/quote]
I could be wrong but I seem to remember that when this site opened there was, ahem, healthy competition to advance up the greasy pole (no one will ever catch the Dude - natch!) and I believe the mods decided that bass related stuff is what counts.
My memory is like the rest of my faculties however and advancing years have taken their toll so I could well have made all that up.

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='79084' date='Oct 24 2007, 08:37 PM']Ahaha thank you - do off topic posts really not count? :) How strange...[/quote]

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='79173' date='Oct 25 2007, 12:36 AM']Some of the early posters were bass players wives that were top posters but all Off Topic.[/quote]

Hi jhk and welcome

and t'was me chatting away in 'Off Topic' that upset a couple of forum members so I'm sorry but it's my fault that no-one's posts in 'Off Topic' are counted :huh:

[quote name='Mrs Tinman' post='79257' date='Oct 25 2007, 10:01 AM']Hi jhk and welcome

and t'was me chatting away in 'Off Topic' that upset a couple of forum members so I'm sorry but it's my fault that no-one's posts in 'Off Topic' are counted :huh:[/quote]
Yeah Mrs Tinman - it's all your fault. :)