Why become a member? ×

Multieffect or pedals rack?

righi80

Hi guys,

as said in my presentation I've been playing bass for relatively a long time but just stepped in the electronic music world, and its pedals and effects of course.

I know more or less which range of sounds i would like to have and I'm kinda figuring out which pedals i would need. However my guitarist friends suggested me a multieffect.

They make a point saying that i can get a really wide range of sounds, but i'm a bit wary about those little starship and i think i will just get confused with buttons and digital displays.

On the other hand a pedal rack (i was thinking of 4-5 pedals + DI) is more simple and visually straightofrward: 5 pedals, on/off, but of course the range of options is more limited.

What is your opinion about that?

some multi fx are simple - Boss ME 50B, Line 6 Floor Pod.

A multi is more convenient, one pedal including a tuner, meaning only one power supply etc.

An advantage of pedals is that if one breaks you still have the others, with a multi if you break it the whole thing could stop working. I tend to buy things assuming they are going to work and look after them, so I'd go for the multi.

This of course leads to the next problem of which one :)

[quote name='MacDaddy' post='714041' date='Jan 15 2010, 05:18 PM']some multi fx are simple - Boss ME 50B, Line 6 Floor Pod.

A multi is more convenient, one pedal including a tuner, meaning only one power supply etc.

An advantage of pedals is that if one breaks you still have the others, with a multi if you break it the whole thing could stop working. I tend to buy things assuming they are going to work and look after them, so I'd go for the multi.

This of course leads to the next problem of which one :)[/quote]

One problem per time! :rolleyes:

If a use a multi fx do i still need i DI or i can go straight in the PA?

thanks for you post, actually i didn't think of the option that something might go wrong and break. And according to Murphy this is going to happen 2 hours before your most important gig.

he advantages of a multi-fx means you have a lot of choice..
the disadvantage is that most of the sounds on a multi-fx you wont use because they are useless (jet engines e.t.c)

I go with pedals, due to me being able to get the exact pedal I need for my sound.. you hear a sound you like, research what pedal it is and there you go you have that sound.

you said you know which sounds you need, roughly 4-5 pedals so if I was you i'd stick with that.
UNLESS
you consider the Line 6 Pod XT, which has amp models and stuff
with the XT you can make your amp 'simulate' into being another amp model, such as an SVT for a really good drive sound. you can also make it sound as if its mic'd up, and you can change the cabs on it too..

in a nutshell
if you know the sounds you want, then get the pedals
if you want a wide-variety and have the time to configure and want stuff like amp simulation, get a multi-fx.

Thanks for the suggestion guys.

I actually don't need amps simulation for what i'm doing now. I'll check the Line 6 Pod XT and the Line 6 M13 but i'm still more orientated towards the pedals option. Also because i don't feel like browsing thru hundreds of useless sounds to find those ones i need.

cheers!
.ric.

[quote name='righi80' post='715774' date='Jan 17 2010, 04:29 PM']Thanks for the suggestion guys.

I actually don't need amps simulation for what i'm doing now. I'll check the Line 6 Pod XT and the Line 6 M13 but i'm still more orientated towards the pedals option. Also because i don't feel like browsing thru hundreds of useless sounds to find those ones i need.

cheers!
.ric.[/quote]

the Boss ME 50B and Line 6 Floor Pod can be used like pedals.

[quote name='righi80' post='715774' date='Jan 17 2010, 04:29 PM']Thanks for the suggestion guys.

cheers!
.ric.[/quote]

Ric.. just check this post out... Says it all
[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8053242&postcount=137"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php...p;postcount=137[/url]

The Line 6 M13 is DA THING !

This is not like any other multifx...

[quote name='AlX' post='716222' date='Jan 18 2010, 12:03 AM']Ric.. just check this post out... Says it all
[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php?p=8053242&postcount=137"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showpost.php...p;postcount=137[/url]

The Line 6 M13 is DA THING !

This is not like any other multifx...[/quote]

wow! sounds quite clear :)
I'll lock myself up in music shops in my next two days off

cheers

[quote name='civictiger' post='715016' date='Jan 16 2010, 05:23 PM']he advantages of a multi-fx means you have a lot of choice..
the disadvantage is that most of the sounds on a multi-fx you wont use because they are useless (jet engines e.t.c)

I go with pedals, due to me being able to get the exact pedal I need for my sound.. you hear a sound you like, research what pedal it is and there you go you have that sound.

you said you know which sounds you need, roughly 4-5 pedals so if I was you i'd stick with that.
UNLESS
you consider the Line 6 Pod XT, which has amp models and stuff
with the XT you can make your amp 'simulate' into being another amp model, such as an SVT for a really good drive sound. you can also make it sound as if its mic'd up, and you can change the cabs on it too..

in a nutshell
if you know the sounds you want, then get the pedals
if you want a wide-variety and have the time to configure and want stuff like amp simulation, get a multi-fx.[/quote]

Totally agree, figure out the sound that you want to create in the first place the go hunting down the pedal to match the sound
individual stomps get my vote every time, an if one breaks you still have the rest, just isolate the offending item on your board an away you go
multi units are good but still end up with a load of effects that you will never use an if it goes down then you have lost the lot.