Why become a member? ×

Bypass Pedal Advise

plumbob

Hi Guys

I wonder if anybody could enlighten me with there recommendations and experience etc.

I'm thinking I will probably have to get one have no idea which.

Also what is the best way to cable up would you go:

Bass Guitar > Bypass Pedal > EBS Octabass > Dod Envelope Filter > EHX BASS Synth > EBS TD650 Head or:

Bass Guitar > EBS TD650 Head ,and every thing else through the effects loop including the bypass?

Hope that makes sense , many thanks in advance.

Cheers

Nigel

If I understand correctly you are talking about a [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=71424"]looper[/url] - i.e. a device that removes/inserts one or more pedal in the signal chain.

I wouldn't put effects in the effect loop. In the majority of amps/preamps, the effect loop is at signal level. In other words the signal is too hot to be used with standard pedals. The first option sounds the better one.

In practice the looper will have 4 jack sockets: input (from bass), output (to amp), send (to the first pedal), return (from the last pedal).

If you really need/want put a looper in effect loop you need a custom looper that reduces the input signal from line to instrument level, send it to the effects and re-amplify the signal from instrument to line before sending it back to the amp return jack.

Edited by Silent Fly

Agree with Max - what's wrong with the bypass built into each of the pedals? Are you getting tone drain? You could use a simple looper pedal to remove the entire pedal train from the signal path if you wanted, but to have each pedal separately on their own ('true')bypass would need a special custom build, which I'm sure Max could help you out with!

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='713486' date='Jan 15 2010, 10:32 AM'](...)what's wrong with the bypass built into each of the pedals? Are you getting tone drain?(...)[/quote]

I may be totaly wrong but I think plumbob is interested in the functional aspect of the looper. I think he needs to switch quickly from processed so clean sound.

Hi Guys

Thanks for getting back

So its a Looper I need then, as Silent Fly has pointed out.

Al Heely your right about the pedals, with the exception of probably the EBS Octabass , the others seem to suck too much out of the original bass tone.

I see you make some quality kit Silent Fly , do you make a Looper or were you redirecting me to somebody else in your original post?

Anyway thanks again for taking the time to get back to us.

Cheers

Nigel

[quote name='plumbob' post='714167' date='Jan 15 2010, 06:53 PM'](...)
I see you make some quality kit Silent Fly , do you make a Looper or were you redirecting me to somebody else in your original post?
(...)[/quote]
Loopers are not exactly on top of [sfx] priorities but I make them if necessary.

From the photo it looks like [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=71424"]this looper[/url] is well built and it costs for a very reasonable amout of money. If you need one it might be worth considering it.

[quote name='Silent Fly' post='714214' date='Jan 15 2010, 07:28 PM']From the photo it looks like [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=71424"]this looper[/url] is well built and it costs for a very reasonable amout of money. If you need one it might be worth considering it.[/quote]

Bear in mind if you bypass all your pedals with a passive switch like that, you may find you still get tone suck as your signal degrades along the cables to/from your pedals and amp. It might be an idea to keep one active pedal in your signal chain just to push things along - some tone shaper maybe, outboard preamp, anything with a quality buffer in it would do.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='715724' date='Jan 17 2010, 03:25 PM']Bear in mind if you bypass all your pedals with a passive switch like that, you may find you still get tone suck as your signal degrades along the cables to/from your pedals and amp. It might be an idea to keep one active pedal in your signal chain just to push things along - some tone shaper maybe, outboard preamp, anything with a quality buffer in it would do.[/quote]

If you are using a bypass switch,you can put all of your effects in the loop so that when you turn it off,the pedals are
removed from the signal chain,so you are effectively running through just one pedal.

I just bought one of the loopers that Umph was selling last week and it does exactly that for me.

I don't use many pedals but those I have are all in a single loop coming off Umph's little pedal. I pre-set whatever I'm going to need next during the break between songs, and then stomp the looper when I'm ready for the fx.

The other attraction with this is that I can instantly by-pass any failure or bizarre side-effects in my fx chain.