Why become a member? ×

Small Time Bass Players worth seeing

4 Strings

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='727500' date='Jan 28 2010, 12:55 PM']From Newcastle-ish, Neil Harland & Frankie Gibbon.. awsome.[/quote]

Ha ha, Frankie Gibbon. He taught me sound recording for one year at Newcastle College in '93. I remember we had a "day trip" to his home studio once.

Last I saw him, he was miming backing vocals for Jimmy Nail on "Crocodile Shoes" on Top of the Pops.

I remember him being hilariously funny when I knew him, but then again I was a naiive teenager at the time.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='Huge Hands' post='728501' date='Jan 29 2010, 10:55 AM']Ha ha, Frankie Gibbon. He taught me sound recording for one year at Newcastle College in '93. I remember we had a "day trip" to his home studio once.

Last I saw him, he was miming backing vocals for Jimmy Nail on "Crocodile Shoes" on Top of the Pops.

I remember him being hilariously funny when I knew him, but then again I was a naiive teenager at the time.[/quote]

I remember Neil raving about Frankie Gibbon when he was at college- very cool that they are mentioned together now. Job done.

In Northern Ireland we have a host of great small timers - two that immediately spring to mind as being influential too me are Aidan McGuigan and Sumi Kal. Both incredibly understated in their playing, with an appreciation of groove and holding down the low end as opposed to technical wizardry. Top notch IMO!

[quote name='chardbass' post='728494' date='Jan 29 2010, 11:46 AM']When you mentioned him and his look I thought I knew who you were talking about- checked out Illegal Eagles' site.
I used to see him play with a great blues rock band called Bad Reputation in the late 90's
Always thought what a great player he was- very, very solid and quite Pino-esque too.
Very worthy of a mention in this topic.[/quote]

Bad Influence even? :)