Why become a member? ×

hybrids

Dedaluz

[size=5][size=7][size=4]Hi,
I've been playing the bass for many many years (on a Fender fretless, a 70s black beauty), but have never really owned serious gear cos of many reasons (and generous friends). Recently I went looking for a decent amp for no more than £300 pounds and loved the tone of the ampeg hybrid combo. I guess the tone I'm looking for is a warm tube tone. There must be other amps (heads, or combos) on the market which have comparable tones? It's just that I don't want to buy the first thing I see, but don't know enough about what's on offer. Can someone here help? I'm also looking at second hard gear of higher wattage.
Cheers mates
[/size][/size]
[/size]

[quote name='Dedaluz' post='709134' date='Jan 11 2010, 06:19 PM'][size=5][size=7][size=4]Hi,
I've been playing the bass for many many years (on a Fender fretless, a 70s black beauty), but have never really owned serious gear cos of many reasons (and generous friends). Recently I went looking for a decent amp for no more than £300 pounds and loved the tone of the ampeg hybrid combo. I guess the tone I'm looking for is a warm tube tone. There must be other amps (heads, or combos) on the market which have comparable tones? It's just that I don't want to buy the first thing I see, but don't know enough about what's on offer. Can someone here help? I'm also looking at second hard gear of higher wattage.
Cheers mates
[/size][/size]
[/size][/quote]

Amp head....I would check out Mark Bass Little Mark 2 second hand, or 3 if brand new. Nice and light, very warm, great low end.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='709314' date='Jan 11 2010, 08:27 PM']Amp head....I would check out Mark Bass Little Mark 2 second hand, or 3 if brand new. Nice and light, very warm, great low end.[/quote]

Thanks Musicaman20. I'm checking out a few at the weekend, and shall keep you posted.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='709314' date='Jan 11 2010, 08:27 PM']Amp head....I would check out Mark Bass Little Mark 2 second hand, or 3 if brand new. Nice and light, very warm, great low end.[/quote]

Got myself an Ashdown MAG300... Fantastic warm tone, and love the octave divider.

Aggghhh!! You mentioned the Ashdown word!! You`ll have all the Ashdown haters on this site (and there`s a few of em!) awakened from their hole in the ground. :)

Good choice man, I`ve had one for about 4 years and they are a decent bit of kit. Agree with you on the octave thing. I`ve punted my Eden and am going back to using my Mag.

Jez