Why become a member? ×

Jeremy by Pearl Jam- help needed

Old Horse Murphy

I've been asked to fill in for a month or so with a local indie-rock band (Pearl Jam, Queens of the Stoneage, Nirvana) and of the tracks they want to play is "Jeremy" by Pearl Jam. This is a new number, so their current bassist can't give me any steer at all.

The intro is played on a (so I've been told) 12 string bass and unfortunately, I don't own one of these.

I was thinking of trying to use my Octaver to replicate the sound, but wondered if anyone else plays it and what they use to get that unique sound.

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

Nick, my band had a bash at covering this before we decided it didn't really fit in with the other material. Our bass player (it's the band I play guitar in) didn't use an Octaver or a 12 string bass - in fact I doubt he knew that it was a multi string bass or whatever the technical term is.

It sounded alright anyway - I don't know whether that's actually because it sounded alright - we gigged it a couple of times and it went down well enough - or my attitude towards it is a bit more "wing it and hope".
The other thing I think I did was to play his part on the guitar an octave above - which is probably what your octaver would do.
Sorry I can't be of any further help. I never really liked doing it anyway

[quote name='john_the_bass' post='78104' date='Oct 23 2007, 11:01 AM']Nick, my band had a bash at covering this before we decided it didn't really fit in with the other material. Our bass player (it's the band I play guitar in) didn't use an Octaver or a 12 string bass - in fact I doubt he knew that it was a multi string bass or whatever the technical term is.

It sounded alright anyway - I don't know whether that's actually because it sounded alright - we gigged it a couple of times and it went down well enough - or my attitude towards it is a bit more "wing it and hope".
The other thing I think I did was to play his part on the guitar an octave above - which is probably what your octaver would do.
Sorry I can't be of any further help. I never really liked doing it anyway[/quote]

Thanks John. I suggested the Guitarist tracks this an Octave higher, but he wasn't too keen. His band I guess, so I'll give it a go with the Octaver and see how it sounds.