Why become a member? ×

EA Micro Head(s) - SOLD

eubassix

Looking to sell one of my EA Micro head(s) as I don't need both and, although I bought the new version to replace the old one, I don't really need the additional power - and would be happy to keep either.
Details and link to the EA site are below.
The new (silver) model is UK (220v) version (although I think it can be internally adjusted to suit 110v, if required). The original (black) model was designed with a magic switching sytem, so it could be used anywhere (in the world). Mine always worked with this feature .. but having read that some were failing, I bought a 110/220 convertor (about the size of a std. multi-plug) and have used it with this since. You could risk the original 110/220 (internal) switching.. but it'll be sold with the external convertor and I'd advise its use (just in case .. better safe than sorry .. etc.).
The new one still has its original box and packaging and has hardly been used. The original (black) one is also in excellent/mint condition.
I also have a 'World Tour' mini-bag which fits either perfectly and includes a side-pocket (useful for the power/speakon lead/s and for the Convertor plug with the black EA Micro).@ [b]£22 (incl.)[/b]
BassDirect do now have the (new) Micro @ £559 (Special Offer/incl. shipping). They also do a bag for the Micro for £52 (incl. shipping)
Details:-
[b]Euphonic Audio I AMP 300 Micro (BLACK)[/b]
US made, EA iAMP Micro 300 - a revolutionary, c. 3 pound, 300 watt, dual channel, Class D, musical instrument amplifier. Inside the iAMP Micro 300 is a revolutionary, cutting edge power supply. The 4” by 4” Switching Power Supply features true Power Factor Correction from 100-240 volts and from 50-60 Hz. Whether your traveling the world, using a 25 foot extension cord or playing some funky dive with questionable power, the Micro 300 will always deliver a cool 300 watts (@ 4ohms). The power amp of the Micro 300 is based on the critically acclaimed, Class D power amp section of the iAMP 200. This 3” by 4” power amp’s highly efficient design means no need for a cooling fan or external heat sinks. Finally, the control circuit of the Micro 300 was designed to be scalable. EA envisions the possibilities of Micro series amps of up to 1,500 watts. All this and more in a package weighing around 3 pounds and the size of a 1/2 sheet of paper!
Specs:-
Inputs: Two channels with Intelligent Input Switching with optional footswitch
Controls: Channel switch, Input gain, 3-Band EQ, Master Volume, Mute switch, Effects loop blend
EQ: Low, Mid, and High for each channel
Effects Loop: Parallel effects loop with blend control
Outputs: Speakon speaker, tuner, effects send, 1/4" stereo balanced DI out
Frequency Response: 20Hz to 20kHz ± 3dB
Power Output: [b]300 watts @ 4 ohms [/b]
Size: 2.1"H x 8.5"W x 5.4"D
Weight: 2.3 lb

The [b]All New, More Powerful, 3 Pound Micro![/b]
Description: US made, EA Micro is a revolutionary, <3 pound, 550 watt, dual channel, Class D, musical instrument amplifier. The second generation EA Micro sets the standard for sound, size, and power. This next generation Micro combines a new, innovative switching power supply and an elegant and pristine preamp to create possibly the lightest, most powerful musical instrument amplifier on the market today!
Specs are same as above EXCEPT:-
Line Voltage: 100/120 - 240 Internally Selected
Power Output: [b]310 watts @8 ohms, 550 watts @ 4 ohms[/b]
Size: 2.1"H x 8.5"W x 5.4"D
Weight: 2.75 lb
... it's SILVER

[url="http://www.eaamps.com/product_detail.asp?ID=285&gt;"]http://www.eaamps.com/product_detail.asp?ID=285>[/url]

SOLD !!

Edited by eubassix

Not sure - it's not stated on the unit. I've used it throughout the past year or more without any problem. I'm assuming it must be more effective (and safe) than the internal unit which did work effectively on this particular amp but which was reported as having some problems.

Well, as you've started it might be best to finish .... could you explain please?
I'm not sure of what problem this might present and have no idea of the difference between an autotransformer and an isolating transformer......
I've used it for ages without issue or problem and have used a similar unit in the past with a 110v Head I brought back from abroad.
I'm assuming others might also have been doing and continue to do the same.
It's also what EA advised when I contacted them about the best/safest interim measure (until the new Micro evolved) with the original Micro internal 110/220v switch - although my unit did work fine with the internal auto-switch.

[quote name='walbassist' post='706726' date='Jan 9 2010, 04:46 PM']Very interested in the new one, but why are you selling?[/quote]

Only need one and happy with both units (now realising that I don't really need/use the additional power of the 550) so don't mind which sells.

[quote name='eubassix' post='706741' date='Jan 9 2010, 04:56 PM']Only need one and happy with both units (now realising that I don't really need/use the additional power of the 550) so don't mind which sells.[/quote]

I should have read the first sentence of the ad more carefully!

[quote name='eubassix' post='706734' date='Jan 9 2010, 04:50 PM']Well, as you've started it might be best to finish .... could you explain please?[/quote]

You should be using a unit rated to at least 250-300VA. The unit in the photo is only suitable for low power items like electric shavers. If you run your amp hard the step down transformer protection circuitry (if you're lucky) will shut off the supply to the amp, otherwise it will overheat, creating a fire hazard.

How would you describe the tone of the newer unit? By that I mean is it comparable to anything other make? I've heard these heads are a bit more "grunty" than the usual EA clean sound.

Also, any concerns over volume output? Does the 550 have a decent kick?

Cheers

G

OK - the new (silver) unit is now on-hold/pending.
I've found both units to be as per previous, older EA heads and Combo's I've used in the past. Clean sound. The uprated Micro has plenty of kick - quite remarkable for such a tiny, compact unit.

I'll probably keep the original unit, although I'm intrigued by BB2k's advice. It appears to make sense - but I wonder (a) why EA themselves suggested the use of such a Convertor, and (:) why it (and a previous 110v head) have worked fine with a 'small' convertor. I sourced the 250-300 (type) models and they seem to be bigger than the amp !! .. the type of thing you might expect to use with some serious, industrial machinery. I've not investigated the EA internal 110/220 switch (which worked/works fine on mine - but apparently not on some others) but it's got to be a lot smaller than the external unit I'm currently using (?).

• 2 weeks later...