Why become a member? ×

A Good all rounder

Hanson

Okay so we ditched our second guitarest and i want a Distortion pedal to fill in the lacking sound during solos and some other guitar parts.
We play covers and a few are with two guitar players , and we only have one. So im wondering whats a good distortion pedal to use? Are The boss singles okay?

Oh my god Joe, that is a rig to wreckon with! Where can I hear it? I thought about doing this kind of thing before, but, I decided to try to fill the frequency range of the guitar using my effects and other playing techniques, rather than actually pitch shifting my bass.

Being duly inspired by joegarcia's rig (from an earlier thread) I got myself a Danelectro French Toast pedal and an old FAL Merlin guitar combo (less than £50 for both off ebay), taking the line out of my bass head into the pedal. With the pedal deactivated the Merlin has little effect on the overall sound but as soon as it's activated - oh wow!

Will be trying it out at rehearsals for the first time tonight :)

I also use an Ibanez PD7 (which I really like) in a heavy bluesy overdrive kinda way and a Marshall Jackhammer (never together) with hardly any gain on it just to add a subtle bit of grit where needed.

Nothing compares to the joegarcia solution though - and whilst my 'mini-me' version makes me reach for tissues - I'd love to hear the real thing in all it's glory!

[quote name='joegarcia' post='78713' date='Oct 24 2007, 10:29 AM']Cool. Glad to hear I'm spreading the joy! You should try it with two DJ13's. :huh:[/quote]

I feel I must!

okies - have a danelectro lunchbox thing on order that holds 5 mini pedals - assuming that two slots will be taken by two DJ13's any recommendations for the other 3 slots (was thinking chorus, flanger and eq)

please bear in mind that I have no heart and will not be satified unless I see our guitarist's soul destroyed :)

[quote name='joegarcia' post='78846' date='Oct 24 2007, 02:28 PM']Dunno, cheddatom just recomended the DJ22. May be worth a try. Half the fun is having different fx on each amp.[/quote]

I thought that the 22's strength was the ability to bring it back down an octave

I'm planning on building a simple on/off footswitch that'll feed the 13's and fx - and keep the bass clean when in use - ahhh, the possibilites are endless :)

[quote name='cheddatom' post='78895' date='Oct 24 2007, 03:28 PM']Try the 22 through your bass amp, the 13 through your guitar amp! I like them together, but, I'm not running them through seperate amp chains, i'm running them through a bi-amp rig.[/quote]

ah, that makes more sense - and a very big sound :)