Why become a member? ×

Dead amp! any advice?

tylerlangan

Hi all,

after about a year of more-or-less retirement from playing bass I've decided to get back into it good and proper, due to needing to eat and other such financial dire straits I've sold of alot of the gear I previously owned (namely a Mesa Walkabout Scout, lots of pedals and a Musicman SUB) but I'm left with two basses I'm very fond of (fender jazz and a warwick streamer std) and have recently unearthed my very first and very rubbish bass amp....

a Laney R5!

I played it through for around three hours a few days ago and when I next went to turn it on ( I live in student accommodation so frequently play unamplified) there was just nothing, the light seemed to flicker for a second and then die and now it simply won't turn on!

Without sounding like the most general annoying request ever, does anyone have any ideas?

I've got a soldering iron and plenty of spare caps, resistors and whatnot lying around on my course if anything needs replacing, anyone had such simmilar things happen before?

Any suggestions at all would be most welcome.

I know the amp's a bit rubbish but anything'd be cool at the moment!

Hope everyone's having a great new year.

Thanks for reading.

Check all the easy things first starting from the plug.
Open it up check fuse and that the wires are properly connected.
Is the lead a plug in type,if it is check theres power at the other end where it plugs into the amp if you can.(may need a meter for this)
Next check fuses actually in the amp.