Why become a member? ×

MIJ Fender Jazz wiring

Jerry_B

I have a 1989/90 model and can't find any wiring diagrams for it. Diagrams for other versions don't explain it all as the MIJ version I have as a brass grounding strip going from the bridge pickup to the bridge. I haven't had the bass for all that long and it's not firing on all cylinders - it's lacking in volume, is noisy and gets noisier when I touch any metal parts. So I suspect something's up with the grounding.

Any help much appreciated!

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='702337' date='Jan 5 2010, 11:56 PM']I have a 1989/90 model and can't find any wiring diagrams for it. Diagrams for other versions don't explain it all as the MIJ version I have as a brass grounding strip going from the bridge pickup to the bridge. I haven't had the bass for all that long and it's not firing on all cylinders - it's lacking in volume, is noisy and gets noisier when I touch any metal parts. So I suspect something's up with the grounding.

Any help much appreciated![/quote]
Aside from the grounding strip, it should be wired just like any other 3-knob Jazz bass. I'm not sure if the brass strip completely replaces the bridge ground wire (I'd guess it does), or whether they have both. However, they should both be wired to the back of a pot or some other grounded point.

I personally like the Seymour Duncan schematics for clarity:

[url="http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=std_jazz_bass"]http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wirin...c=std_jazz_bass[/url]

Aha - that's one diagram I've seen before, but it seems to be set up differently from mine (and a MIA Jazz wiring diagram I have). As far as I can tell the strip goes to the brass strip on which the bridge pickup is sitting. From there I'm not sure where the wiring goes. That said, if it's just a case of wiring the correct wire to a pot then that should be okay. I just wasn't sure as this bass has alot of brass plate here and there, including in the pot well.

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='702337' date='Jan 5 2010, 11:56 PM']I have a 1989/90 model and can't find any wiring diagrams for it. Diagrams for other versions don't explain it all as the MIJ version I have as a brass grounding strip going from the bridge pickup to the bridge. I haven't had the bass for all that long and it's not firing on all cylinders - it's lacking in volume, is noisy and gets noisier when I touch any metal parts. So I suspect something's up with the grounding.

Any help much appreciated![/quote]

where there is no wire from a bridge to earth a copper earth strip to the bridge pup should suffice
i did this on a jazz modified bass which had had EMG fitted previously so no bridge wire
the ground from the bridge pup should be wired to this strip and then a new wire run to the pot/s..some tailoring in the tight space may be required

basically all pups should work no matter where they were made or crafted as per normal electrical principles

the slight variations you may see should fulfill these requirements in principle

the hot leads from the pups go to their respective pots
a wire then goes from pot to pot and then to the jack...this is the hot line..red

all other earths are connected collectively to earth the pot bodies and bridge to the jack...this is the earth line..black

if all is done correctly then other problems can be sorted

personally i wire a jazz with a pan pot...its not ideal but only required one vol to adjust during playing

Thanks for that! In the end I found that one wire leading from the bridge pup was stuck in the channel leading to the electronics well. I think the bloke who had it before me must've done something weird with the whole bass (judging just by the exterior when I got my hands on it. Anyway, after much fiddling about, I got the wire out and soldered it to one of the pots and now everything works! And it sounds very nice indeed :)

There is a slight amount of noise, and some crackling from the neck volume pot when the control is rotated. I guess I should put that down to it's age (and the manhandling it's been through)?

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='703071' date='Jan 6 2010, 04:43 PM']Thanks for that! In the end I found that one wire leading from the bridge pup was stuck in the channel leading to the electronics well. I think the bloke who had it before me must've done something weird with the whole bass (judging just by the exterior when I got my hands on it. Anyway, after much fiddling about, I got the wire out and soldered it to one of the pots and now everything works! And it sounds very nice indeed :)

There is a slight amount of noise, and some crackling from the neck volume pot when the control is rotated. I guess I should put that down to it's age (and the manhandling it's been through)?[/quote]

good vibes sherlock..you solved it!! :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

UPDATE: I had a guitar in the other day that stank of WD40 - new pots (as even switch cleaner was no good at this point) and it worked fine.

WD40 - just say no

(or, as it means I might ultimately get some work out of it if you live locally, go for it :) )

I've yet to get some switch cleaner, but will do so.

Seeing as this thread is resurrected, I still have a problem with this bass. It's too quiet - or, at least, it doesn't sound like it's firing on all cylinders. Could this be because there's a problem with the pups, or is it still something with the wiring?

[quote name='Jerry_B' post='779255' date='Mar 18 2010, 10:57 PM']I've yet to get some switch cleaner, but will do so.

Seeing as this thread is resurrected, I still have a problem with this bass. It's too quiet - or, at least, it doesn't sound like it's firing on all cylinders. Could this be because there's a problem with the pups, or is it still something with the wiring?[/quote]

try cleaning (or replacing) the jack socket for a start if the problem is constant