Why become a member? ×

Power Amp Recommendations

Sean

A while back I decided to go down the route of big rig/little rig; one for own pleasure and to let me have a great tone with loads of effects and the other for convenience when going to rehearsals or small gigs where I share limited space transport.

My rack box rig is currently using my Markbass LMK head as a power amp as a temporary measure while I find a power amp that fits the bill. What I'm looking for is a 2U poweramp that is no deeper than 300mm. [url="http://www.carvinworld.com/products/single.php?product=DCM1540L&cid=15"]This Carvin unit[/url] looks pretty good and seems very well priced (£350 imported). Does anyone have any experience of Carvin gear? It seems to get a good rap in the States but then again so does Squeezy Cheeze and illegal wars so anyone closer to home have one?

Cheers

Sean

Edited by Sean

What is your preamp plan?

Also, probably best going for a PA amp, rather than one marketed for bass. Been eying this to make a crap offer on it, but spend all my pennies: [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350278655034&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]QSC[/url]

What sorta power you looking for?

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='694272' date='Dec 27 2009, 02:20 PM']What is your preamp plan?

Also, probably best going for a PA amp, rather than one marketed for bass. Been eying this to make a crap offer on it, but spend all my pennies: [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350278655034&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT"]QSC[/url]

What sorta power you looking for?[/quote]

Interesting one that QSC - do they have a good rep?

Preamp is a DHA rack unit, it's a VT3-Twin-EQ 1u thing. It sounds great, nice and warm and the two channels makes it as versatile as the LMK for when it comes to switching sounds.

Power-wise, I guess 500watts and upwards. My cabs are 400watts at 8 ohms.

[quote name='Sean' post='694288' date='Dec 27 2009, 02:32 PM']Interesting one that QSC - do they have a good rep?[/quote]

Think AlexClaber uses one, think it is safe to describe him as fairly fussy on his gear. Might be a different type to that one though. Recall it looking similar.

Edit: Plus sound engineer mate says they are good (hence it being on my watch list).

Edited by Mr. Foxen

Thanks, guys. The keys player in my band really rates QSC too. They are quite heavy and deep compared to the Carvin though. Either way it seems like a cheap way of doing things compared to the all in one head.

That link I posted to the Carvin site distorts the price when you reclick it - the price it should show is £251.

Interestingly it looks as though Carvin add the shipping, VAT and Duty and quote you a landed price. It would be cool if more US retailers did this.

Robert DeLeo of Stone Temple Pilots has been using a QSC MX1500 for his live rig since the mid-90's. Not the same model I know, but I guess it does say soming about the company in general.

Pretty sure he used it on their "Purple" album too, thinking about it.

Edited by redzombie